• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plz help I want to overclock my cpu with Intel board 845GBV(chipset) can i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazyfan

my cpu is intel 2.4g. thx by the way do i need change other cpu fan or just keep using the orginal one?

Coz

This is one that needs answering by *foo. If you don't get a response here then post in the Intel Boards sub-forum.

Short answer is - you won't be able to overclock a D845GBV (Brownsville) without a hardware mod. *foo recently modded a D845GBV (I think) to run a 200MHz (800FSB) FSB speed so if anyone knows about this stuff it's him.

Being able to run an overclocked Intel board like the D845GBV is something I'd LOVE to do. I'm sick of the crap quality and non-existant validation you get with Taiwanese boards and the only thing stopping me from using an Intel board as my main rig is lack of overclocking features. I use a D845GBV in my server now and it's the most rock-solid, problem-free board I've ever used. Since it replaced my Abit SA6R my server has been 100% - with the Abit board it was 50% on a good day.:(

OP
C

Crazyfan

ok thx, by the way, if i change to new mobo with 845pe, which brand is better to overclock? because i have intel 2.4b cpu,i have read some msg, they said if cpu overclock up to 3.0,then i could use hyper-threding. is that true?

Coz

Crazyfan said:
ok thx, by the way, if i change to new mobo with 845pe, which brand is better to overclock? because i have intel 2.4b cpu,i have read some msg, they said if cpu overclock up to 3.0,then i could use hyper-threding. is that true?
No, it's not true. You need an HT-enabled P4 to use hyper-threading - that means the 3.06GHz P4 only. The only other chips that have hyper-threading enabled are some ES P4 chips (that have HT unlocked) and some special P4's (2.8's I think?) that Intel released to developers.

Next year we'll see some lower-speed P4s with HT-enabled (2.4, 2.53 etc.) but not at the moment.:(

Coz

Speak to *foo about the D845GBV mod. I assume it's too tricky for us mortals to try but you can ask him anyway. *foo posts in this forum or you could just PM him (do a username search).

*foo

Registered
The only frequency you can overclock to is 200MHz. That's the only other higher clock frequency offered by that clock generator.

You can also underclock to 100MHz, but that would be shooting yourself in the foot.

To recap: you can only get 100, 133, or 200MHz on the Intel boards. Standard CK-408 frequencies.

It would be possible to overclock a 100MHz FSB part to 133MHz on an Intel board. You could even volt-mod it. No problems there.

they said if cpu overclock up to 3.0,then i could use hyper-threding. is that true?
That is patently false.

OP
C

Crazyfan

*foo said:
The only frequency you can overclock to is 200MHz. That's the only other higher clock frequency offered by that clock generator.

You can also underclock to 100MHz, but that would be shooting yourself in the foot.

To recap: you can only get 100, 133, or 200MHz on the Intel boards. Standard CK-408 frequencies.

It would be possible to overclock a 100MHz FSB part to 133MHz on an Intel board. You could even volt-mod it. No problems there.

That is patently false.

ok thx your reply, only thing you need help me that is introdction book,i really dont know the steps. thx