• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plz help me diagnose my friends problem HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natopotato

ok i built him a pc here are the specs

1.4tbird
tyan board
40gig fujitsu [or however u spell it]
512 mb pc133
geforce 2 mx440 [vision tek]
430w psu

his orig system worked fine but his 250w psu failed and fryd his mobo flop cd
now he has a new tyan board new psu [tried 2 psu's so its not the psu] and cd

later i got xp installed for him and 90% of games are unstable and crash on his system also when he comes over and connects to my network he crashes all the time way more it seems when hes at my house [duno its realy wierd]

iv reinstalled win goten a larger 430w psu bigger case with better air flow great temps NOT OVERCLOCKED

iv swapped out components and tested them on my pc and my parts on his pc found that his geforce card, sound nic modem all work fine crash free on my pc and with all those parts of mine on his pc he still crashes

im betting he there is somthen wrong with is mobo cuz it worked fine on his old ecs board that got toasted... most of his errors are in game crashes but he also has random windows crashes and he cannot get through the secont 3dmark test also prim95 fails
the only thing i can think of is his mobo... i dont realy wana tell his dad he need a new mobo after the last problem so plz gime some ideas im going to do some more cross testing of parts and dif OS's
thx

edit... he has latest drivers for everything no bios flash though...

OP
natopotato

natopotato

cooling is ok he did have a tt5 or somthen on there but now i gave him my old ehh.. swiftech i think it was with a delta on it his temps are never over 44 usualy idle in the 35ish range

its not overclocked at all so temps are fine [in his old cramped case it was a problem with the psu blocking the fan but his new antech case has great air flow so hes set]

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
How's the cooling on the card? An old card, but nothing likes to be hot. Do you have temp readings for it? Have you tried upping Processor voltage? It'll raise temperatures obviously, but it may help iron out stability issues.

Z

OP
natopotato

natopotato

ok thx for the replys... i dont know why i did not swap out the mem cause it could have been damaged when his old psu failed and killed his mobo
'
its not his vid card cooling i dont think cuz it has the same crashes when i poped my vid card in there...

i dont think u can up the voltage on his mobo but ill check...

cant believe i did not think of the mem ill swap it out for the pc133 chip i have layen around

thx guyz keep the tips commen