• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plz Help Me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmellyDraws

Registered
I just recently built my PC, and I cannot do nothing I would like to do on it because it is always locking up. This is my third try, trying to post this distress message. My temp runs at 43 degrees full load, so I do not think it is that.

P4 2.4B
Soyo P4X400 Dragon Ultra
Leadtek G4 TI4600
Corsair XMS PC3500
Antec TRUE430
WD "Special Edition" 80 gig

These are my system specs...please help me I have been trying for 2 days to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

turd

A little more info would help, please. Like when and how does it lock up. Is the OS in?

The usual steps for that is to first check and make sure that all the cards and cables and ram are seated correctly, that the HSF is properly attached and seated. That there is no accedental grounding or shorts(like lost screws or things touching) . Then reset the CMOS jumper, check the CMOS, read the manual and set everything to failsafe. Then with more info it can go further.

Hope this helps

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
turd said:
A little more info would help, please. Like when and how does it lock up. Is the OS in?

The usual steps for that is to first check and make sure that all the cards and cables and ram are seated correctly, that the HSF is properly attached and seated. That there is no accedental grounding or shorts(like lost screws or things touching) . Then reset the CMOS jumper, check the CMOS, read the manual and set everything to failsafe. Then with more info it can go further.

Hope this helps

It locks up right away when I start a game, or play music. It locks up when I am at the desktop or online, and the time varies when it locks up on the desktop or online...anywhere from 2 minutes-30minutes. My OS is WinXP pro.

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
No I do not have the latest BIOS. I was trying out how to flash my BIOS but I am having troubles doing it. I made a copy of Win98 boot disk, and a copy of Awdflash and the latest BIOS. I restart my PC with the boot disk in and it says "Invalid System Disk". So I have not flashed the BIOS. I think this might solve my problems but I do not know how to. :( I am dumb

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
this is what my memory is set at. Maybe I can change it to run my PC without problems.

DRAM Timing- By Speed
SDRAM Cas Latency- 2.5
Bank Interleave- 4 Bank
Precharge to Active (TRP)- 3T
Active to Precharge (CTRAS)- 7T
Active to CMD (Trcd)- 3T
DRAM Command Rate- 2T Command
DRAM Burst Len- 4
Write Recovery Time- 3T
DRAM Access Time- 3T

Should something be changed here? I just called Computer Renassaince and it will cost 80 dollars for them to look at my PC for an hour. I hope I will not have to spend that.

Robbie

SmellyDraws said:

430 watts is not enough?

Check your 3.3v rail. I had the same prob with a P4 that I put together for someone. After looking around I found the 3.3V rail would drop to about 2.6 (lowest I can remember maybe 2.4?)

And it would HARD LOCK.

So check your voltages. Just because it's a 430W doesn't mean it's a CLEAN 430W.
Rob

**edit** in your bios set it for "fail safe" if it DOESN't lock it's probably your memory timings.

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
Robbie said:

Check your 3.3v rail. I had the same prob with a P4 that I put together for someone. After looking around I found the 3.3V rail would drop to about 2.6 (lowest I can remember maybe 2.4?)

And it would HARD LOCK.

So check your voltages. Just because it's a 430W doesn't mean it's a CLEAN 430W.
Rob

**edit** in your bios set it for "fail safe" if it DOESN't lock it's probably your memory timings.

My voltages are running fine.

I did the "fail safe". When I save to CMOS and restart my computer, I get a screen saying that I could not go into Windows because my settings were changed. I had to log into safe mode and restart the computer for it to work again.

turd

Do you have a sound card, if pull it and see if your lockups go away? It could be that your sound card is on a PCI that shares with your AGP. I dont really know that card.

If not then go and reinstall your driver for your vidio card, that would be my guess. If that dosent work try a different set of dets, or even a dif vid card and check it out.

Robbie

Start PULLING cards that you don't need. If you have a NIC pull it. If you have a sound card pull it. All you need is video in there.
Try that.
Rob

turd

Forgot to ask what do your application and system logs say about all this?

start\run\eventvwr.msc

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
I have MANY of these errors.

The description for Event ID (0) in Source (CBWAttn) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description. The following information is part of the event: CBWAttn, Started. (It also says this with the CBWHost)

another error I get:

The COM+Event System failed to fire the connection made method.

here is another common error.

The COM+Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processeing.

These are the errors I get alot of, in the event viewer.

turd

That really points to nothing specific. When you said your third try, did you mean that you have already reinstalled Xp 3 times. Cause If you did everything, checked everything, temps are good, then you need to try a clean format and then reinstall of XP, it could just be a bad instal. Which happens. If not time to swap out some memory and see whats up, same with CPU.

OP
S

SmellyDraws

Registered
Wellafter all this, it was something very minor...an incompatable 56k Modem. I solved that problem and then got another. Now I cannot load Windows XP. It says that this file called (windows root)\system\hal\dll is missing or currupt. I cannot start windows now and have no clue what this means.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
SmellyDraws said:
I just recently built my PC, and I cannot do nothing I would like to do on it because it is always locking up. This is my third try, trying to post this distress message. My temp runs at 43 degrees full load, so I do not think it is that.

P4 2.4B
Soyo P4X400 Dragon Ultra
Leadtek G4 TI4600
Corsair XMS PC3500
Antec TRUE430
WD "Special Edition" 80 gig

These are my system specs...please help me I have been trying for 2 days to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

your post says you have a p4... now 43*C under load for an AMD is normal but for a p4, that's a little hot. mine is 34*C in a burning hot room... try some as3 on your heatsink and make sure it's level... what fans do you have in your system?