• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plz Help..SB Live Mp3 Abit MB WinXP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

Ok, here is the problem:> I have SB Live Mp3 with the original drivers installed for over 3 months. Everything was fine: Music plays and sounds great, windows sounds good, etc. .....

Just recently I noticed that my MSN popup screens no longer had sound, only the pc speaker was beeping! I first checked the settings in MSN Messenger to see if any options changed, but nope, everything was fine!

Then when i went to CP, i found that my SB card was not listed as the defalut device and there was only one option, which was the one that is listed: Emu10KxAudio [D400]! I never heard of this or tried to install it!!

Next i got my orig SB CD, and reinstalled the drivers again. Well after like 1-2 reboots i seemed able to get it back on the list, and removed the Emu one!

Well just today, i realized this thing is back and Im not sure what is causing this?? How can a program change the default sound card/driver??

Any ideas on this one

Ok, one more thing: When i try to play music, the sound is VERY VERY low...U can barely hear it at the same volume it was much louder before. I dont change the volume on the speakers.

Well in Control Panel SB settings there are Legacy Audio Drivers listed too.....Should I keep them there or delete them??
:eh?:

sounds like a dead or dying card, or incorrect drivers. Are you using the latest srivers from Creative? I would try uninstalling the card in Device Manager, then manually installing it.

Also, how old is your Windows installation? Over time all those bad drivers pile up, it may just be time to wipe your drive and reinstall your OS :D

Monster of Rock, as far as the OS, its only a few months fresh install, so its prolly not the OS! AS far as a dying VC, its only about 6 months old, bought new from Newegg, so prolly not that either. I Agree reinstalling might work, but u KNOW how that goes :confused:

But I Agree that it sounds like something with the drivers>> I last reinstalled them with the ones i had from my CD (again 6 months old) and it worked again! but here is the problem: This change happened by itself :eh?: so not sure what is causing this ????

Thanks for helping, but any clue what this is? Can it possibly be a music proggie I use which changed the default SC drivers? Can a program automatically change drivers? :beer:

Thanks

Ok, now check this out: I have not yet made ANY changes, and all of a sudden its back: SB AUdigy Audio [D400] is back in the properties :D
Well this is great but I did not change anything, so im still unsure what has caused this Twice?

ANyone?

my vote is still for faulty equipment. I mean, if you did not change anything at all in software, yet your hardware is acting differently from boot to boot, what else could it be?

I would do an Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com) scan, see if you have some malicious spyware lurking. As well as a full virus scan, these are long shots but possible.

Can it possibly be a music proggie I use which changed the default SC drivers? Can a program automatically change drivers?

Yep, it sure could. Depends on what program you're using, tho- no normal record/playback app has any reason to go changing your drivers on you.

Here's a tip = try going into your multimedia control panel, or whatever XP calls it, and set it to "Use preferred devices only". Make sure the correct choice is highlighted, of course :D Also- make sure the acceleration is set to Full, both for record and playback, for your sound card.

Monster of Rock, as far as the OS, its only a few months fresh install, so its prolly not the OS! AS far as a dying VC, its only about 6 months old, bought new from Newegg, so prolly not that either.

I don't think it's the cause either, but- you can kill a WinXP installation in only a few minutes, you don't need even a few months (not that I think you did this, I'm just sayin :) ) And dying hardware can happen at anytime, be it brand new or vintage PC equipment can die at anytime for what seems like no reason.

Have you tried manually uninstalling the card completely, and then reinstalling using the latest driver set?
This is the very forst thing I would do.

Monster of Rock said:
my vote is still for faulty equipment. I mean, if you did not change anything at all in software, yet your hardware is acting differently from boot to boot, what else could it be?

I would do an Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com) scan, see if you have some malicious spyware lurking. As well as a full virus scan, these are long shots but possible.

Yep, it sure could. Depends on what program you're using, tho- no normal record/playback app has any reason to go changing your drivers on you.

Here's a tip = try going into your multimedia control panel, or whatever XP calls it, and set it to "Use preferred devices only". Make sure the correct choice is highlighted, of course :D Also- make sure the acceleration is set to Full, both for record and playback, for your sound card.

I don't think it's the cause either, but- you can kill a WinXP installation in only a few minutes, you don't need even a few months (not that I think you did this, I'm just sayin :) ) And dying hardware can happen at anytime, be it brand new or vintage PC equipment can die at anytime for what seems like no reason.

Have you tried manually uninstalling the card completely, and then reinstalling using the latest driver set?
This is the very forst thing I would do.
MOR, your right, the OS could be bad "quickly", but im gonna try to completly uninstall and reinstall the new drivers and see how it goes....Oh, as far as that check mark to use only prefered devices, i Always make sure SB is the only one there and checked. And i checked the ADware--its clean...Ill do a full VS soon too..although its always "monitored" via Norton AV 2003 ...

man I hate when PCs f*** up like this, what a pain in the rear :D

im gonna try to completly uninstall and reinstall the new drivers and see how it goes

right on, hopefully that will solve your problems.

Maybe WinXP is rolling the drivers back to the default installed with XP. I never need the Creative CDs to install the sound on either XP or 2000, they install their own drivers which work fine.

The best bet for you if you just need to hear quality sound is here: www.kxproject.com This site has drivers for all Live! and Audigy cards, and they work great! I use them for music production and they have really low overhead and 'unlock' a lot of hidden features of the card...

vtec96 said:
SlowBurn, thats the first thing i tried when this started to happen. But now i remember the problem i was having is that these new drivers would not DL from CL's web page!

I am trying to get AUDDRVPACK.EXE file and it sits there and dont DL? I was here: http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?Centric=206&OS=13

Anyone know how/where to get this file for XP?

Thanks ;)

If you still need it I can upload it to you, either by MSN or I can give you a link. Let me know...

sangram said:
Maybe WinXP is rolling the drivers back to the default installed with XP. I never need the Creative CDs to install the sound on either XP or 2000, they install their own drivers which work fine.

The best bet for you if you just need to hear quality sound is here: www.kxproject.com This site has drivers for all Live! and Audigy cards, and they work great! I use them for music production and they have really low overhead and 'unlock' a lot of hidden features of the card...

I tried those drivers when I couldn't get my Audigy working, but I noticed that I couldn't get my mic working. Now I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong or I missed something.

Ok well some good news and not so good news:

Good news is i found what was causing the SB drivers not to DL > my pop up stopper proggie < !!!

Not so good news: everything was working fine yesterday and showing SB Live as the sound card drivers, and now today its showing Emu again and the sound is all messed up!!

To make it more mysterious, I have only been on the "internet" this week and havent touched any games or anything that really deals with heavy sound!! I Occasionally use media player for mp3's, but that sould not cause this to change from one day to the next! I also have the use only default devices checked, and SOMETHING is still causing my defaualt SB Live drivers to change?? Seems like there is "someone" doing this but im the only on this pc and have all AV, SP's, updates etc on here??

WELL NOW I THINK I MIGHT have figured it out>>>I just ran the update for the drivers.....It extracted and then said it could not detect any SB Audigy Card in my system!!!!!! :eek:

But if it dont detect it at all, then why is it still playing when i crank up the volume?? I can get it to play "almost" like before with the Emu's loaded.

MOR, you may be right after all with the HW thing!! But i really hope its NOT the card itself! If it is its only less than 6 months old from newegg, so anyone know about warranty on this IF this turns out to be the prob??

Im gonna reset the card tomorrow and inspect it and see how it looks ....... :mad:

vtec96 said:
Ok, now check this out: I have not yet made ANY changes, and all of a sudden its back: SB AUdigy Audio [D400] is back in the properties :D
Well this is great but I did not change anything, so im still unsure what has caused this Twice?

ANyone?

Question.

Your first message says you are using a SB Live card and you are trying to use Audigy drivers. The Audigy is a different card.

Did you maKe a mistake in your first post, or are you actually using A Sb Live card? If you have a Live series card then that could be your problem.

Maximouse, actually im using the SB Live Audigy Mp3, so yea i need the Audigy drivers ;)

vtec96 said:
Maximouse, actually im using the SB Live Audigy Mp3

Never heard of a Live Audigy MP3. You must mean Audigy Mp3.

Try removing all the drivers for your soundcard as well as any of the extra programs they give you. Then install from the CD that came with the card, just the drivers and none of the other programs (like the mixer and file player) and see what happens.

Al

Ok well now its working (so far) after uninstalling and reinstalling the orig drivers..btw, i never had any more than just the drivers from the beggining :)

Lets see how many days this wil last...hopefully this will fix it.

HOWEVER, I JUST seen one thing that was different before than it is now.....there was one additional driver in there before: "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)" thats no longer there after reinstalling the drivers!

Now i have: "Creative SB Audigy" instead! Now I installed from CD each time so not sure what happend!

oh well hopefully this will work...

THANKS EVERYONE :beer:

vtec96 said:
Ok well now its working (so far) after uninstalling and reinstalling the orig drivers..btw, i never had any more than just the drivers from the beggining :)

Lets see how many days this wil last...hopefully this will fix it.

HOWEVER, I JUST seen one thing that was different before than it is now.....there was one additional driver in there before: "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)" thats no longer there after reinstalling the drivers!

Now i have: "Creative SB Audigy" instead! Now I installed from CD each time so not sure what happend!

oh well hopefully this will work...

THANKS EVERYONE :beer:

Yeah, sounds like a bad install the first time, Creative is known for that:)

I guess even computers get confused sometimes;)
Looks good now.
Al

Back