• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PNY Anarchy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I bought a set of these sticks (2x8gb) last summer when memory was cheap and was running them in my NAS. I never had a problem with them in that set up. I recently switched around a bunch of hardware -making my sig out of date a bit- and have been getting errors that I think are due to the memory. here is a quick rundown of what I have been seeing:

1) Gaming crashes. The error message from the game stated to check the RAM. I ran through memtest86+ and couldnt make 2 passes. When that happened I bumped the voltage and manually set the timings to the XMP value listed iin CPUZ mem tab and ran 12 hours with no errors. I kinda thought the problem was solved here.

2) Getting random blue screens, 1 or 2 a day, from the kernel (ntoskrnl.exe) and alot of the reading about that error says to question the memory.

Before I go and run through hours upon hours of memtest86+ again (which I will likely do anyway, but I will put that off for as long as possible) is there anything else that I should check? Are there any red flags about this ram that I havent already run across? Bad chips or something? I guess my biggest fear is that these issues are somehow related to the Kingston/AMD "not playing nice"-ness that I have read about. Most everything I could find about it was customer reviews on amazon and newegg stating that the heatspreader was improperly placed and made for poor insertion into the mobo, but I havent seen any issues like that with my sticks. Either I got a different revision where the problem had already been solved, or I just got plain lucky and havent had that issue.

Here is a link to the exact kit. TIA

OP
knoober

knoober

Bump-sy? :)

8.5 hours into memtest86+ now. That's almost 3 passes for 16gb.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I got nothin knoober. Typically the issues arose with higher speed ram not the 1600 kits. You could try raisn the CPU_NB voltage a bit if the problem persists. Could also be a driver proble considering it's gaming.

OP
knoober

knoober

They could have called it alot worse for the prices it was selling at :) I went back again and again for 16gb kits in the $60 range. 32gb 1866 for the NAS and 16gb 1600 for the daily driver. The anarchy has better timings, but thats to be expected because of 1866/1600 speeds.

Just to keep current with the troubleshooting and problems: 9 hours memtest was all I could take. If there is anyone who truly believes there is something to be revealed with a longer run, I will set time aside in the future. I am calling it good with the 2 runs I have done (1x12hr run 1x9hr no errors).

I have also reverted to a previously stable OC and the symptoms remain. Blue screen has happened 2x now while web browsing and nothing else. Reimaged OS and I have only had one BSOD since (but am still searching for the issue). If I put the CPU-NB one notch higher I get a noticeable decrease in performance so I think Ive got it dialed in, but I still welcome any advice. Thanks again guys :)

Alaric

It certainly seems like the memory is good after that thorough a memtest run(s). Is it possible the problem is with the IMC on the chip?

OP
knoober

knoober

It certainly seems like the memory is good after that thorough a memtest run(s). Is it possible the problem is with the IMC on the chip?
Keep in mind that 12hrs is only 3.x passes with 16gb. Most reading I have done says "as long as you can handle, but 7 is standard/kinda minimum" . Im just saying I hate memtest and how it steals my machine for all that time, necessary evil it may be :)

Unless the IMC suddenly failed (and it could), I would err to the side of not. I had this chip running 32gb 1866 (only ran @ 1600) 3.8Ghz with realistically midrange voltages (im not burning up the chip or ram with high voltages anywhere). The IMC seemed strong enough until I switched the 32gb to NAS and threw the 16gb into daily driver. :shrug:

Alaric

The IMC may not have "failed", but maybe it stumbled with the new load? I know memtest likest to use up everything until the cows come home, but realistically, 3 full passes should be about 12 times the stress typical day to day operation puts on it. Will the mobo handle ECC memory?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Web browsing could be a problem with the browser/java/ HW acceleration or a GPU driver.