• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Point in overclocking videocard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OCing is definitely noticable. my 9500NP 128MB softmodded. between stock 275/270 and 400/310 is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Doom3 is unplayable at stock @ 1024x768 on high, and OC'd to 400/310, it's very playable.

No need to give any more examples why overclocking is great.
Just one addition:
If Tim Taylor (Allen) would be 20years younger he would be a hell of an overclocker. lol. We're men, we need testosterol.. we need tuned 5l V8 engines in our cars, we need tuned hardware in our system and of course there won't ever be enough power for us to be satisfied. hoarhoarhoar -> Tim Taylor sound.

Chowdy said:
OCing is definitely noticable. my 9500NP 128MB softmodded. between stock 275/270 and 400/310 is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Doom3 is unplayable at stock @ 1024x768 on high, and OC'd to 400/310, it's very playable.
Gotta agree with that :) If you can OC it a lot, it is very noticible, and can make all the difference. My card is almost as good as Chowdy's (390/303), and the difference is nothing to be sneezed at (especially on games that are GPU intensive, since the core is OCed so much).

JigPu

stratcatprowlin said:
This is the second time he tried swaying overclockers.
The other time was in the ATI section.Some people just dont get it.
Well, he is banned afterall. I don't see the point of this thread. The only who cared about an answer now can't reply. I think it should be locked honestly.

From what I am seeing on the net it seems that unless you get a huge overclock speed increase of the clock/memory while retaining 100% stability then you won't see much of a diffrence in gamming. Guru.com benched an Iceq2 HIS Xt-PE showing stock vs oced. They were using an AMD64 3800 which is nearly top of the line but, the video card could only pull 40Mhz extra from the GPU and 70Mhz from the Mem over stock. It showed 1-2 FPS diffrence on that A64 chip. I would like to have seen them use that A64 3800 combined with one of the Xt-Pe's thats all modded with aftermarket sinks that can maintain 100%stability at 600mhz+ gpu range. If anyone knows who has done exactly this then please link cause I would be very interested in knowing the results in actual gamming not synthetic benches.

bojangles:
The point to the thread is so people can view it and reply with their opinion. Yea the guy who is banned cant reply but, there may be someone else who would also like to come in and share their opinion with the rest of us. Would you rather have new topics formed by the masses while the old threads just accumulate even though they are closely related? It would also be best to limit the Off-Topic chatter within a thread so people can read exacty what the topic is all about. Your not helping the situation by comming in here and adding to it. Nor am I for that matter by replying to your post but, I at least have included an On-Topic reply within this reply so in a way this reply is both Off and On topic.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
bojangles:
The point to the thread is so people can view it and reply with their opinion. Yea the guy who is banned cant reply but, there may be someone else who would also like to come in and share their opinion with the rest of us. Would you rather have new topics formed by the masses while the old threads just accumulate even though they are closely related? It would also be best to limit the Off-Topic chatter within a thread so people can read exacty what the topic is all about. Your not helping the situation by comming in here and adding to it. Nor am I for that matter by replying to your post but, I at least have included an On-Topic reply within this reply so in a way this reply is both Off and On topic.
It is a fair point, but I don't really think this is the place to ask a bunch of OCers why they OC. Anyway, I added my 2 cents earlier. Scroll up, it was like a month ago. And as far as my post being off topic, this entire thread is off topic in OCforums.com.

I dissagree. Everyone is giving in their 2 cents about their reasonings for overclocking a video card except for a select few. I'm sure some people would like to read the many replies as to why people overclock a video card. Since this is a forum that relates to overclocking itself then I fail to see why you would say that this entire thread is off topic in OCforums.com.

Yea you did put in a reply a month ago but, does that give you the right to come into a thread and demand it to be closed cause you dislike its presence in the forum even though its activly on-topic? I think not.

I personally don't OC my vid card. It doesn't like it at all, and when it does decide to be nice, and oc without a hiccup, there's no real gain at all (for this card anyways). Lately I've notived more of a FPS increase when I OC my CPU, and memory rather than my videocard. Everyone will get different results, because no one's rig is exactly like someone elses.

I only read the first post, but don't need to read any more. I don't understand why you wouldn't take 8 fps for free. When running d3 on max detail with aa and af I will take every fps I can get. I was damn thrilled when i saw that someone made a tweak for doom3 that would probably only give me 1-3 fps for free. If you just play cs and type in word processors you don't need to oc your vid card. If you are going to ask why oc your vid card, you are asking why oc anything, and that is just not a question for this forum. People that ask questions like that are the same that say to me, "why do you need a car like that, volvo's are fast enough" when I am driving my corvette.

For me playing doom3 8 fps would make a huge difference, i'm usually playing it at 10 - 20 fps. although i only get a small increase in performance from overclocking, why not overclock it abit, you're getting more out of your card. if you know what to do then it probably won't cause any dmg, and it only takes a few minutes to crank the MHz up a few more.

If you aren't vmodding your card and cause damage you probably don't know what you are doing, and shouldn't be doing any oc'ing until you have read more. Even with vmods, as long as you know what you are doing and how to do it you shouldn't damage anything.

The mods shouldn't like stuff like this. If everyone decided not to oc there would be no point to these forums.

This reminds me when some guy asked me why put a fan on the top of a card, and why volt mod a card if it isn't stable.... Well, my cpu wasn't stable, thats it. Would you invest about $15 to get the freqencies about 37% better? I would, and I did. No point in arguing against overclocking in the overclockers forum, is there?

Back