• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POLL: AMD vs. INTEL and who have switched

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD vs. INTEL and who have switched

• 1. Always Intel

Votes: 234 14.4%
  • 2. Always AMD

Votes: 439 27.1%
  • 3. AMD to Intel

Votes: 123 7.6%
  • 4. Intel to AMD

Votes: 445 27.5%
  • 5. Some of both

Votes: 278 17.2%
  • 6. Do not care

Votes: 89 5.5%
  • 7. Other

Votes: 12 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used intels up until just a few months ago when i had to build a new pc after my laptop was stolen. I went from 286's all the way to p3's. I had a k6 once until my dad took it back. Now, i have converted to the light side finnally.... :-D

Was always AMD here. I couldnt afford dual Xeons, so dual XPs it was :D

Switched

Used to have old P3 Intel 550 slot 1 computer now have, amd 1600 with ecs k7s5a and xp1700 with a7n8x deluxe and xp1700 with soyo dragon plus:D :D :D

1st comp was an Intel (family one, moms bought)
2nd was Intel P3 500
3rd was T-Bird 900
4th T-Bird 1100
5th Palamino 1600+
now Thoroughbred A 1800+
soon (next week) Barton 2500+

(nice poll by the way)

I'm the one who voted Other.

Started with Intel. Switched to AMD when the Socket A Athlon came out and Intel committed to RDRAM over DDR. Switched back to Intel last year when I got tired of Via chipsets.

BHD

Akumu X said:
1st comp was an Intel (family one, moms bought)
2nd was Intel P3 500
3rd was T-Bird 900
4th T-Bird 1100
5th Palamino 1600+
now Thoroughbred A 1800+
soon (next week) Barton 2500+

(nice poll by the way)

clearly a pittsburgh steeler fan.

if he were from cleveland he'd be a brown's fan and would be running p4 northwoods by now. ;)

I HATE PITTSBURGH :mad:

Right now I'm running intel brand dual Xeons. A very nice platform and well worth the money. But honestly if the MP platform had been updated over time and not left as is for so long I might have considered it. The opterons are looking nice, when the platform has a dual board with an AGP slot I'll consider it for my next upgrade but it might have stiff compatetion with the faster FSB Xeons down the road. Only time will tell.

Always AMD , but i do have to say ive herd alot of people say if amd doesnt shi* or get off the pot they may switch, myself ill stay with amd im always on a budget , intel is too pricey & ive always been one for the underdog (go figure).

In my mind any processor that has cooling problems with the fan it's packaged with isn't worth it. I am still using AMD, but on my next PC, I'll be going Intel.

I've built and done both, and it REALLY doesn't matter.
Price does matter ;)

In my mind any processor that has cooling problems with the fan it's packaged with isn't worth it. I am still using AMD, but on my next PC, I'll be going Intel.
I've never had an AMD processor die from heat. If you're not overclocking, and running at default voltage, the retail box heatsink fan is just fine.

Depends on how bored I am, of wherther I want the features of a particular motherboard, or whether or not a vendor screws up and ships me the wrong board, for 1/2 it's normal price.

I'm an agnostic, P4, Athlon, as long as the code I need runs in the time I need it, I'm happy.

My P4 is now a server, and my main box is now an Athlon 2500 on a A7N8Xv2 Delux, but when the dust settles on the new Intel motherboards, and perhps the new socket, I may swing back the other way.

I rarely ever spend more then $100 on any part of a machine anymore. It's all fast enough, so it really comes down to where the bargins are.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back