• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pool Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildbilly2k

what do you guys think of getting some really nice pumps and pumping water from one side of my pool into a y splitter then too my vid card and cpu then back to one again and back into the other side of the pool. My pool is around 50 degrees farinhieght

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

well chlorine is the only thing and then hydra cloric acid which isnt put in very often but i can pull my tubes out when i have to put that in and then just run my computer on air for an hour then stick them back in

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
i wouldnt worry about it to much you do swim in it after all so the chemcials cant be that harsh

but yea its working under the cant heat the ocean point of view

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
all the chemicals needed to keep pool water clean are probably not too good on copper, but i'm not possitive. though you'll have to rethink your setup once spring comes around. the water will probably be closer to 85-90 F in the middle of summer in Arizona.

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

yeah that is very true in summer my pool is about 85 degrees but i was thinking in the summer i could possibly just use buckets of ice water inside my house

Huckleberry

Heat dissipation-wise, it would work great.

The same idea is used for building cooling/heating, where there are pipes, buried deep in the ground, that are used to sink heat (or in the winter recover heat) from the ground. The ground tends to keep a constant temperature year-round, making it suitable for this use. Similar to your pool, you can use the constant temperature as a giant heat sink.

ziah

ever see what pools do to aluminum??? gets all white and brittle. uor pool furniture needs replacing every 2 to 3 years cause it gets so funky. i can toss some copper in there to see what happens but it will be 2 years before i can give any results. my girlfriend will probably clean it out though. i know all the pumps and hoses are plastic and stainless steel so i assume softer metals probably dont fair too well in th long run.

~z

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

yeah but i got a question real quick

how cold does water get in your water cooling systems guys cause it cant get anyless then room temperature

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

yes that is true but right now i still need to find a 1600+ to put in my system to overclock cause my 1900+ is crap and im thinkin of getting a nice kt400 board that has nice voltage settings so i can run at 2 volts and then i can unlock the 1600+ and crank up the multiplyer then finally i may be able to afford some decent ram.

good idea?

cause after i get the new board and a 1600+ im going for water cooling then ram then new cpu

grim

wildbilly2k said:
yeah but i got a question real quick

how cold does water get in your water cooling systems guys cause it cant get anyless then room temperature

with an inline system using a radiator the water temp cant get lower than room temp. using a bong or any other form of active cooling you can get lower than room temp.

masitti

Well, 50f is about 10c... that would be a pretty cool water temp, considering the fact that you can crank the heat in the house. ;)

As for summer, you may even be safe to use it in the summer. Hell, my room was at around 29c in the summer... that is almost 90f, and I still maintained under 50c load temps (it was usually around 44c).

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

great now i just have to get my mother board and 1600+ then im set cause i can get pumps for cheap and water block im thinking tc 4 and im just going to run down to home depot for some tubing but im worried that i may spend money on the 1600+ and then when the 2800+ come out ill be outa cash and i want to buy memory after the water cooling ooh well i guess i just have to breack down and spend my hard earned cash

Illah

ziah said:
ever see what pools do to aluminum??? gets all white and brittle. uor pool furniture needs replacing every 2 to 3 years cause it gets so funky. i can toss some copper in there to see what happens but it will be 2 years before i can give any results. my girlfriend will probably clean it out though. i know all the pumps and hoses are plastic and stainless steel so i assume softer metals probably dont fair too well in th long run.

~z

Your girlfriend cleans your pool?

--Illah

Ottoman

dude, how far is your comp from the pool? how many feet of hose would u need for something like that? and how would u run it in and out of the house??

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

Ottoman said:
dude, how far is your comp from the pool? how many feet of hose would u need for something like that? and how would u run it in and out of the house??

my comp is about 30 feet from the pool at the most and that is why i need a pretty powerful pump. and the hose is going to run through a doggy door

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
won't that make the door that the doggy door is in unusable? is there a window nearby? you could just make a piece of plywood with 2 holes in it to put in the bottom part of the window, and close the window down on the plywood. window closed, but hoses can pass through unhampered.

R.Rabbit

wow, i just had a cool idea, replace your pool light if you have any with black lights and put lots of leak detector uv die in there!
it probly wouldnt be to healthy but it would look awsome!especially for haloween!