• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor Raid Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abb1

I dont know, my SiSoft Sandra scores were 33000-36000 and now they are about 26000. I have 2 60GB Quantum harddrives set up on Raid 0. I should be getting better scores than that. I also have the results from HD tach which also kind of suck. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I need help.
Abb

See if there may be a latency fix for your motherboard. Other than that I can't offer much for you except this. I have a RAID0 array on my computer and SiSoft and simular programs never rate RAID drives very well. Im my expierience they perform about twice what Sandra says they do. If it'll make you feel better though, you can turn off Windows caching in Sandra and your scores will go up some. But don't worry...your scores were great considering those programs don't give RAID much credit.

yup, u can also try to turn off smart drive, and dl atto to test. Mine were almost exactly double what sandra says.

My results

These were my results... what do ya think???

The Top image is my ata 133 RAID0 setup which consists of dual channel, dual maxtor ata133 7200rpm 60gig each drives...

The bottom is my ata100 maxtor 5400RPM 80giger...

fortheboard.jpg

Re: My results

h0mersimps0n said:
These were my results... what do ya think???

The Top image is my ata 133 RAID0 setup which consists of dual channel, dual maxtor ata133 7200rpm 60gig each drives...

The bottom is my ata100 maxtor 5400RPM 80giger...

fortheboard.jpg
Better than mine. What is your Sandra score?

OK these are my sandra scores...

120 Gig (60*2) on ata133 RAID 0 with SMART enabled and 3 partitions:

1.) NTFS partiton, 20Gig and C: drive =
Drive Index: 26736
Buff read: 64 MB/s
Seq read: 37 MB/s
Ran read: 7 MB/s
buff write: 52 MB/s
seq write: 45 MB/s
AVG access: 8 ms

2.) FAT32 partiton, 46Gig and E: drive =
Drive Index: 28441
Seq read: 39 MB/s
buff write: 49 MB/s
seq write: 47 MB/s
AVG access: 7 ms

3.) FAT32 partiton, 45Gig and F: drive =
Drive Index: 28661
Seq read: 41 MB/s
buff write: 48 MB/s
seq write: 44 MB/s
AVG access: 8 ms

There ya have it!

Can someone explain the weird Peaks in these benches? Are they artifact or real representative burst rates?

What I'm trying to ask is, on those HD benches are the MAX values valid or not?

Damn Homer, your benches suck too. People running a Raid 0 array have been scoring 43000, we are running at 25000-28000. Thats pathetic. Whats wrong?????? can somebody help.

I've been getting bad benchmarks in my RAID array since I upgraded to WinXP. I think that the benchmarking software is inaccurate, as the computer is still really fast.

I'll bump this till we get a straight answer ;):D

I wasn't mega disappointed with my benches, afterall the scores were DOUBLE my 80gig drive so I figured that relatively things were working correctly... Also there is a difference between theoretical and REAL results (i.e. there is no way any drive can achieve 133mb/sec, REAL performance is going to be considerably less than that). If someone things we can do better and knows how DEFINITELY let us know! Thanks!!

doesn't explain the other bench mark we posted called HD TACH, I suppose that prog sucks too?

Gonna try and turn off smart drive, see what happens, will post if it changes anything...

thanks, keep em coming!!

My Maxtor D740X 80GB scores 27,400 alone!

In the email, Maxtor explains,

Dear Customer,

The Applications that benched the D740X wernt designed for WindowsXP and therefore degraded the benchmark results. Be sure to update the bios on your RAID Controller Card and also the drivers along with it. Make sure ATA-100 or ATA-133 is enabled to achieve the highest results.

On average, 2 D740X in RAID0 ATA-133 should score over 40,000 and just under 40,000 if ATA-100 is used.

Regards,

Maxtor Support Team

AXIA

Back