• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor single-threaded performance: Blame the CPU, or the software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Was reading various stuff regarding compilers and libraries (specifically Intel ICC producing code that disables optimizations if it detects a non-Intel CPU). Found some links to an alternative math library, and am curious what libraries and compilers most software actually use.

http://www.yeppp.info/home/yeppp-performance-numbers

The benchmark is single-threaded with all Turbo features disabled.
Cycles per function:
|log|exp
i7 4770k|2.7|4.3
FX-6300|9.2|5.8

Granted, that's a very limited data set, but if similar numbers follow for other operations (and remember that the FX-6300 is only a third the price of the 4770k, so the numbers being somewhat worse isn't a horrible thing), does the "AMD has crappy single-threaded performance" really hold up? ICC has been proven better than other compilers in several cases, but it is known to be biased. How much common software is actually compiled with ICC or using less-than-optimal math libraries that may make the AMD CPUs look worse than they really are? Everybody knows Intel has quite a bit more money and therefore can afford better design teams and fabs, so I'd rather attempt to learn more about compiler/library usage among various products that are often referred to when talking about performance. Might be hard to find that info for a lot of closed-source software :(

Yep, and internally we had someone, Bubbahotep, do some EXTENSIVE testing here at the site...Search his name and threads he started to see his results.

Ah hah. This whole thread will be a very tasty can of worms if eaten with hot sauce. Thanks ED for the idea to check bubba's already done testing.
RGone...ster.

Here's a bit more reading if you're interested on this subject. http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
Most software uses the ICC since it's the most common processor. Even Windows itself.

is intel still doing the same thing to this day? if so, you think that maybe the AMD 8350 really is better than intels 4770k?

or did they compare the two using microsofts compiler and find that the 8350 still gets stomped on by intels 4770k?

Ah hah. This whole thread will be a very tasty can of worms if eaten with hot sauce. Thanks ED for the idea to check bubba's already done testing.
RGone...ster.
Yeah, this will be a rehash of Bubba's existing thread... we hammered it out there last year, LOL!

Yeah, this will be a rehash of Bubba's existing thread... we hammered it out there last year, LOL!

I did a search for bubba and didn't have a whole lot of luck E_D was ity a different spelling or something. The only thing I turned up had 1 post and that wasn't it.

Missed that discussion being too busy with school work then, I guess :) Thanks for the link. That doesn't go into much detail behind the applications being run, though.

Last edited:
Back