• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Popups in IE without Browsing..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

Recently I started getting these banner popups without even browsing the net. I will minimise IE on my computer and within 5 minutes of inactivity I get a popup or 2. Anyone know why this happens? I'm not sure but I don't think this happens when IE is closed tho.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
My guess is right with carmello's. You may have inadvertantly downloaded some spyware, and so it's bringing you these evil popups. Go download Ad-Aware, and run a scan.

That is, unless you allready have Ad-Aware, and have run it to make sure...
JigPu

OP
T

Tacoman667

Many thanks guys. Looks like there were 19 objects on my laptop and 35 on my desktop. A few named Gator and alot were data miners. If you know what I'm talking about. How does that crap get on my machine?

TechnoNRGKid

spybot also is very good for removing crap.
I sooo hate Gain. There everywhere.
if you see applets pop up while you surf site, dont click the yes button! Those big dialog boxes that shows a bunch of text, and has "yes" and "No". I always click no. macromedia and other "Good Companys" use these too. you see them when you go on the windows update site and that box pops up saying something bout microsoft , giving you the option to "always trust content from microsoft". I actually somehow seen a fraud of Macromedia. I clicked yes, and it installed some type of crap media bar are something in my browser.

Funny, i remember my first experience with that crap. was wondering why i got those damn pop ups on my desktop, thought it was normal at first lol.

They can Record your surfing habits, and can give you data that may interest you as Gain says, but f*ck that! lol

JupiterSSJ4

Registered
just go download Mozilla Firebird, its a nice lil browser that automaticzlly blocks popups, never seen one with it.

If they are showing up and IE isn't active, you have a spyware (download ad-aware). I think I found 400 or so on my dad's pc, only about 60 on mine, even though I don't download anything with IE.