• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

port triggering?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccb056

what is port triggering and when should i use it
(linksys 4 port router)

nuh huh, its called port triggering, its at the botom of the port forwarding tab in linksys's router, next to upnp stuff

From a review on a Linksys router:

"Anyway, this is an interesting addition. Basically, it's a conditional port forwarding feature. If the router sees outbound traffic in the port triggering range, then the incoming port range will be forwarded to the IP of the computer initiating the traffic. This is supposed to increase the support for some online games (I only play Half-Life/TFC online myself, so I don't know which games would require this feature)."

So you specify a port number, for example 80, and when the router sees packets going out of it from port 80, it records the LAN-side IP that it came from. When the router has packets coming in to port 80, it will forward them to the original IP address that it remembers last sent them out port 80.

I guess you can say it's a sort of port forwarding.

so, if i had data on wan comming in thru port 80, it would go thru port triggering and end up as lan port 8080, and if i had data going out of lan as 8080, itll show up in the wan as 80 ?

Well it sounds like port triggering is a new thing they made up. I don't use any router appliances like that. I don't like them. I use real computers.

ccb056 said:
so, if i had data on wan comming in thru port 80, it would go thru port triggering and end up as lan port 8080, and if i had data going out of lan as 8080, itll show up in the wan as 80 ?

I don't think so.

My understanding of it is this.

you play a game that requires use of ports 2250-2275. You go into your routers setup and go into the port triggering tab. You specify ports 2250-2275 in the "outgoing port range". Whenever you play that game, it sends data out on one of thsoe ports. The router senses this, and whenever data comes back to the router destined for one of those ports, the router forwards that data only to the ip address that it originally came from.

Generally speaking routers block specific requests for access toany given port. You can bypass this by port forwarding. Port forwarding sends requests to a given port, to a specified ip address. E.G. You are running an FTP server on a computer with internal IP address of 192.168.1.25. So you set port forwarding up to forward packets being sent to Port 21 to IP Address 192.168.1.25. Whenever any packet tries to connect to port 21, it is sent to that specific computer, whose ip addy is 192.168.1.25

You could also setup Port Triggering instead of Port Forwarding. The difference seems to be Port Forwarding works on Incoming Connections, whereas Port Triggering works on Outgoing Connections.

Back