Portable Display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

I am looking for advice on purchasing a portable display to manage updates on my folding at home rigs. I currently have to borrow my wife's monitor and move it around to two different rooms. A bit of a pain.

I was thinking about something like this but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions or an alternative.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!

I use a rather thrifty setup to avoid carrying around the monitor to rigs that generally do not have their own. And I do this on both my desktop and laptop.

DVI -> HDMI adapter
HDMI -> Composite Video Adapter
Composite Video -> USB Dongle

All that is a bit clunky, however it lets me open up a "monitor" in a window on whatever I plug the USB adapter into. Quite handy for getting to a linux terminal or BIOS utility. Works best at 640x480. Of course, they also make USB HDMI input devices which would be simpler and have much better quality. However, MY setup costs less than $20 - $30 :)

bmwbaxter

hmm, so you are suggesting more of a capture card. I might give that a try first since they can be bought for $20.

knoober

Not sure why you don't just use RDP or TeamViewer? I guess I don't fold so maybe it's a silly suggestion, but it seems like it could work?

bmwbaxter

Does that work for clicking through windows updates prior to loading to desktop?

Cause whenever there is a major update it always is like welcome and here is what’s new prior to getting to desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knoober

Does that work for clicking through windows updates prior to loading to desktop?

Cause whenever there is a major update it always is like welcome and here is what’s new prior to getting to desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure about that exactly, but I know that you can RDP (TeamViewer as well) to the login screen and input your password. Ive never gotten bit by an update and been unable to login but I'm not really an expert or heavy user of either option so YMMV

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!

If you install VNC as a service in windows, you can boot the machine and do a remote login. Even with Ctrl Alt Delete involved, lol.

Capture option is nice though as sort of a budget "remote management" if you need to get into the BIOS and don't wanna bog the network with sending the video feed.

If the CMOS battery dies, or anything stops windows from starting you're outta luck w remote viewer software that works over the network.

habbajabba

I need one myself. The Eyoyo 8" 1280x720 has hdmi and vga with a remote control. Metal housing with wall bracket and desk stand too. There's one without the remote for a touch less. On amazon.
Unfortunately my nas requires a higher definition display, min. 1380x1090? for the 'HybridDesk" Station feature. I ended up just getting an 8" android phablet with a 1920x1200 display. It runs the qvr pro client ap for my nas perfectly over wifi and I don't have to run Chrome pretending it's a "hybriddesk station'.

Last edited: