• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Positive water cooling experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goatzool

In the course of removing and reinstalling my one-pound copper Volcano 7+ to switch to a faster P4, I snapped the plastic HSF lug on the motherboard and bent the pins on the new processor. I had been accumulating parts for a water cooling system for a while. So I went and got a temporary 1.8A and replaced the Volcano with a gemini swirl, an aquarium pump, an 87 Chevette heater core, and an external reservoir made from a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. After making all the connections and checking for leaks,
I fired that sucker up. The load temperature is 34 C, about 15 degrees cooler than I ever got with the Volcano and four case fans on high.

The decibels are down appreciably.

But even better, I am running the 1.8 at 2.5 with complete stability. And just to see what would happen, I dumped a bag of ice in the reservoir/5 gallon bucket, and my load temp went down to 27 C. While playing UT2003 for an hour!!!

I can see how some skill might be involved to build an internal system, but this was a piece of cake. If someone would just make a set of quick disconnects for 3/8 ID tubing, I could go to LAN parties if I wanted to.

I had read (in the big waterblock shoot-out) that these gemini blocks are competitive with the Swiftechs in performance, and this one sure does the trick. I expect that when I get my replacement 2.5A, I'll be up to 3.5 in short order. Yahoo!

[EG]~NaTz~

good job the first full system i put together was in a bucket but it was a 3 gallon. is your homedepot the orange one with the picture of the guy on it it says the paint bucket or something? if so i have the same one.

TonyMc

goatzool said:
If someone would just make a set of quick disconnects for 3/8 ID tubing, I could go to LAN parties if I wanted to.

I just pick up some quick disconnects from usplastics. There the highflow kind. Abit expensive but make hauling your system a snap. Also the ones I bought are the "shut off valve" type so as soon as you disconnect them theres no leaking:D

OP
G

goatzool

Fragn'stien, that's amazing. I was just kidding when I said quick disconnects would be handy, but they really exist !!! I'm on it.

And [EG}-Natz, yes, it's the orange bucket that says "Homer's All Pupose Bucket." Perfect for Halloween.

Thanks, folks.