• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible ATI 4870 vs 9800GX2@Legit Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dude, stop digging for trouble/and or a heated debate. While I do currently have an X850 in there, I've also had a 8800GTS G92 in there, as well as an 8800GT, 9600GT, 2900XT, and an HD3850. I know what cards can and can't handle.

seems he's good at that...

I'd love to have more information on ATi's new video cards, and nVidias... I constantly upgrade my computer and it would be nice to know ometing's performance ahead of time.

To be honest, the numbers and specs look somewhat accurate, I'm hearing 850MHz core, 3.6GHz memory.
GDDR4 can do 3GHz and GDDR5 can hit 5GHz in the near future according to SAMSUNG.

$5 says ratbuddy trying to flamebait by saying ATi fails at AA, EVERY generation of ATi video card has been better at AA except for the 2000 series.
My X850 beat dual 6800's and let me play WoW and BF2 at 1600x1200 with 4xAA :beer: lol fighting on the internet

meh crysis scores still underwhelming. i hope this is fake.

and wtf with still only including 512mb on top end cards?
I have been monitoring my video mem usage lately and even tf2 with 16aa uses in the 600s sometimes up to 700 at 19x12 res

oblivion uses that much with 2 or 4xaa, and those are old games!

both nvidia and ati need to wake the hell up and release something double the performance of the current cards and stop trying to push this ridiculous multi card scam to get everyone to buy more.

its like if intel told us we needed 4 motherboards and 4 cpus instead of a quad core cpu (just connect them with this ribbon see)

the cynic in me says they are purposefully delaying progress because their SLI/crossfire business model and marketing was exposed as BS when before you could add a second card the new cards were out that were more powerful than 2 of the old ones. thus only a very small number of hardcore enthusiasts who bought 2 cards immediately use sli/xfire. it makes the ceos of nvidia and ati cream their pants to think of a world where every computer has 2 or more of their cards in it. double the profits!

Last edited:
meh crysis scores still underwhelming. i hope this is fake.

and wtf with still only including 512mb on top end cards?
I have been monitoring my video mem usage lately and even tf2 with 16aa uses in the 600s sometimes up to 700 at 19x12 res

oblivion uses that much with 2 or 4xaa, and those are old games!

both nvidia and ati need to wake the hell up and release something double the performance of the current cards and stop trying to push this ridiculous multi card scam to get everyone to buy more.

its like if intel told us we needed 4 motherboards and 4 cpus instead of a quad core cpu (just connect them with this ribbon see)

the cynic in me says they are purposefully delaying progress because their SLI/crossfire business model and marketing was exposed as BS when before you could add a second card the new cards were out that were more powerful than 2 of the old ones. thus only a very small number of hardcore enthusiasts who bought 2 cards immediately use sli/xfire. it makes the ceos of nvidia and ati cream their pants to think of a world where every computer has 2 or more of their cards in it. double the profits!

Wait for the g200's they're gonna be some awesome cards.

On the other hand, I'm upset at nvidia as they seem to announce their new cards a week or two before AMD's specs leak. Just enough to keep ahead, but they end up with crap like the 9800gtx.

$5 says ratbuddy trying to flamebait by saying ATi fails at AA, EVERY generation of ATi video card has been better at AA except for the 2000 series.

Not at all. I wish you ATI guys could take a more objective view sometimes. I was looking into 3850 crossfire versus 8800GTS for another thread, and the 3850's kept up just fine, until AA came into play at higher resolutions. I have no bias towards Nvidia or ATI at all, I just go with whoever offers the better card at the moment. I'm all for the 4870X2 being a big scary monster, I'll be first in line.

People need to stop jumping all over me when I participate in threads where both ATI and Nvidia are involved.

Not at all. I wish you ATI guys could take a more objective view sometimes. I was looking into 3850 crossfire versus 8800GTS for another thread, and the 3850's kept up just fine, until AA came into play at higher resolutions. I have no bias towards Nvidia or ATI at all, I just go with whoever offers the better card at the moment. I'm all for the 4870X2 being a big scary monster, I'll be first in line.

People need to stop jumping all over me when I participate in threads where both ATI and Nvidia are involved.

Gotta a link?

im like you ratbuddy i go either way it dont matter as long as the card kicks some tail is all. i hope ATI can come up with something that plays crysis with all eyecandy on and still playable and do it at a respectable resolution of course. any idea how much longer till these cards are supposivly released? what about nvidias 200?

ATI's new stuff is supposed to come before Nvidia's new line, if they keep deadlines.

ATI - 'may'

Nvidia - 'mid summer'

The benchmark uses QA9650 extreme CPU but it set to speed @ 3Gz. This speed is too low to yield such a high 3Dmark06 score. 9800GX2 = 2 x 8800GT. I am not sure a single HD4870 can out-performs a dual 8800GT SLI.

For anyone that actually believes Fudzilla, heres another link to feed your fancy.

RV770 to be 1.5 times faster than RV670

We've learned that ATI's new chip might end up 1.5 to 1.6 times faster than the current RV670 solution.

In the real world, this should mean that if one game gives 50FPS with RV670 that the new chip should be able to get you around 75FPS at the same settings. On average, the new chip will have to be at least 30 percent faster than the old one to make you even consider it but at least specification wise there is not anything that you might miss.

RV670 was a shrinked and better speced version of R600 with 512bit memory controller crippled to 256bit and it looks that R770 will get that memory upped to 512bit again. At least we know it will end up being fast but we still don’t know what's Nvidia’s real answer to this one.

The benchmark uses QA9650 extreme CPU but it set to speed @ 3Gz. This speed is too low to yield such a high 3Dmark06 score. 9800GX2 = 2 x 8800GT. I am not sure a single HD4870 can out-performs a dual 8800GT SLI.

are you joking? There's a little more to the Pentium Extreme, or any processor for that matter than just clock speed... my 506 runs @ 3.6-3.8 ghz when I'm gaming, you think i'll get a better score than the same setup using an E3110 @ 3.4? no I'll get smoked.

For anyone that actually believes Fudzilla, heres another link to feed your fancy.

RV770 to be 1.5 times faster than RV670

I'm excited about the 512-bit mem bus. Seems like that's nvidia's bottleneck (their 256-bit mid to high range cards). Hopefully ATi can make somehting happen here. btw to the guy about calling ATi AMD, it doesn't matter. They underwent a merger, and you still see the ATi logo on graphics cards not AMD.

If Fudzilla were to be right for once that is :screwy: Notice they never cite sources, officials, have company product statements or pictures of their claims :rolleyes:

yeah, but they have produced 512-bit cards in the past, so i think he might actually be right about this one. But yeah, this guy seems really sketchy. All his reviews have an AMD/ATi bias. He said he likes the phenom X3 over current production E8xx in one of them.

THE BENCHMARK IS FAKE!

The CPU @ 3Gz is too lower to yield such a high 3DMark06. Remember there are two CPU tests in 3DMark06. 2 x 8800GT = 9800GX2. A single 4870 is very very hard to out-performs two 8800GT SLI together.

THE BENCHMARK IS FAKE!

The CPU @ 3Gz is too lower to yield such a high 3DMark06. Remember there are two CPU tests in 3DMark06. 2 x 8800GT = 9800GX2. A single 4870 is very very hard to out-performs two 8800GT SLI together.

HOW CAN YOU SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT IS UNRELEASED?! look i understand that this is a sketchy review and probably not real, but how can you say what an unreleased card can and cannot do.

Here's a flashback. 7800 ultra > 2x 6800 ultra in SLI. so doubling performance is not impossible. Did ATi pull it off is another question, but the 4870 is unreleased and you (or any of us really) know nothing about it

I don't think anything needs to be repeated about the top of the line intel extreme processor either....

Back