• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible deal on a system - would you take it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chihlidog

I've been speccing out a new build (i5 2500k). My budget limit is 1200 bucks. Lo and behold, browsing CL, I found a guy selling a system for 1200. I'm considering it - what would you guys do? For 1200, here's what he has. I'd probably sell the SSDs and replace the CPU with a 2500k anyway.

"Intel I5-750 2.66ghz Overclocked to 3.6GHZ (Quad Core processor)
ASUS Maximus III GENE Motherboard
Antec Kuhler h2o 620 Watercooler Unit
16Gigs DDR3 1600mhz
2x Samsung 128GB SSD in Raid 0
1x Zalman 128GB SSD
1x G.Skill 60GB SSD
2x 1TB SATA 3 WD Western Digital Black
ATI 5850 1gig GDDR5
ASUS SATA DVD Burner
Thermaltake Armor A30
Antec 750 PSU

Logitech G9x Gaming Mouse

For the person who buys this i will i will Include a gaming headset that is worth over $200 . Along with some other goodies

Psyko Audio 5.1
Antec Df-85 Computer Case
Gigabyte P55-UD4P Motherboard
Killer Nic Xeno Pro
Thermaltake I3 CPU cooler.
X-FI Fatality Champion Soundcard"

I really want a 2500k, and like I said I'd probably replace the 750 with one, but that's a LOT of really nice stuff for the price, no? Would you guys pass that up? I was gonna order the parts for my build on Wednesday anyway and Im really considering just using the same money to buy this guy's stuff.

Basically, I'd appreciate it if you guys would just point out any potential issues with that setup I'd run into. Aside from the fact that I would miss the satisfaction of having built it myself, I cant see how I could go wrong.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would be all over that deal.

Sell the 128GB RAID array and the other 128GB SSD. Only keep the 60GB, IMO.

You have to acknowledge, though, that you will need to sell alot of things.

If I read correctly, you seem to think that the 2500k fts into a 1156 mobo ?
It does not. You will need to buy a motherboard too.

As I always say, its your money.

I dont mind selling to be honest.

I could buy a 2500 k and a motherboard, throw it in the other case, and use all the rest of the stuff I wanted while selling off the rest and make out pretty well. I think.

I think I just need some reassurance Im not missing anything. After all, if it seems too good to be true, it usually IS too good to be true.

EDIT: yeah I knew Id have to replace the MoBo as well but not a big deal to me. Seems like the SSDs are worth it.

Yeah, I think I could more than break even on it, just would take a little work. I didnt plan to OC the 2500k right away. Am I right in thinking that the i5-750 OCed to 3.6 would be faster than the stock i5 2500k?

That is a LOT of hardware for that price...I would be cautious...and unless you can meet with this person face to face, do NOT accept the deal. Most things that seem to good to be true usually are; in this case, I hope I am wrong.

That is a LOT of hardware for that price...I would be cautious...and unless you can meet with this person face to face, do NOT accept the deal. Most things that seem to good to be true usually are; in this case, I hope I am wrong.

I know. It's a local deal, and yes I would verify all this first. He claims he does hardware reviews, which is why he has access to all the stuff. Even if it's true, I might pass on it and just order exactly what I wanted from newegg anyway. I'm going back and forth. But it really does seem to be a sweet deal.

Its a really nice deal but dont put 2 ssd in raid0 it gives a lot of problem for the performance difference. Anyways the new generation of SSD dont have any difference in performance with raid0. I would get another GPU and sell some ssd you just need one for your system and some program but not for your data.

Let us know what you will do

Alex, if I buy it I will just be selling off all of the SSDs, half of the ram, and possibly some of the other stuff, too.

I can understand 16gigs of ram is a lot. If you can have a couple of $ for 8gigs that would be nice. Just the ssd's will get you maybe 500$ if you find the person who needs them. If I was looking for a new system I would take that deal.

Yeah, only thing is I really had set my mind on the 2500k and it will take some doing to sell off what I dont want/need, and put the money towards a motherboard and CPU I want.

It comes with so much stuff though that a huge part of my brain is saying "BUY it you idiot!".

Yeah but it always depends on would you take the time to sell these part correctly to have the best price you can have or you will be like F*k it and sell them at a low price or dont even sell them and build a totally new computer... if you think you dont want to have any problem just start a new one but yeah its a nice value deal.

Whichever way I go, I'm doing it tomorrow. Even though that's a lotta hardware for a great price, now I'm thinking it isnt worth the hassle of selling the parts off and basically re-building the system. It doesnt come with windows installed so I'd have to buy a full retail, and waste one to use this PC till I sold off the stuff and got new parts. Then install it again. I did sort of verify he's legit, I'm checking out the site he reviews for and all the stuff he's selling is on there. So the deal is likely legit.

I'm pulling my hair out. I always second guess myself before a big purchase.

Last edited:
I told the guy I'm gonna take it. As long as when I get there everything is in good shape and we fire it up and it all works well, I'm gonna go for it.

It's still much faster than what I've got now, and I'll easily be able to sell off the extra components to get the mobo and 2500k and walk away having spent less overall. Meantime, I get to play with some hardware. I dont think I can go wrong on this deal.

The hardware was in even better condition than I hoped for. I bought it and am posting from the main PC right now. This thing is a beast compared to my old machine.

Back