• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible mod to enable HT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

Go here: http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/datashts/29864305.pdf
look in chapter 6 , table 6.1 (power on configuration options). Its on page 67 of 83 for me.

Any ways it seems that the way the bios knows if the chip is HT enabled or not, is if the A31 pin is enabled.

From what I've read, enabled= the pin is off (no signal) and disabled= on (Pin is sending signal)

From what people are discussing (mostly RiStar) is that all you need to do, is paint the pin with a non conducting paint. (nail polish??)

Any ways, I will not not take credit for this info, so here is where I got it: Note: Ristar the guy trying the mod, is the same person who got the 2.4b to do HT. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=528236&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

I haven't found it yet in the pdf, but I read that the pin is that the A31 pin works the same on. 2.0a and up.

If this works we will know shortly.

Hawk

I don't doubt the pin being enable and disable for HT. I did however ask a very reliable source at intel about this a few weeks back and he reported that it is not functional because the inner connects are laser cut on the die. This could be wrong but I'm doubting it.

OP
cack01

cack01

I just checked back at the thread I posted above, and the first try didn't work. RiStar still believes that the pins could be the key. I think if any finds the key the enabling it, he will. So far it seems HT comes on all the P4's even the willies.

So it is possible.

markodude

Very interesting Cack, I may try it out on my 1.8A, I am a bit worried about doing it on the 2.5 or 2.53 in case it mucks up the chip....

Maxvla

that would be pretty sweet. i may actually try that pin mod if it works.

markodude

is it possible that just linking pin A41 and A42 would do the job, as A42 is ground....?
A41.jpg

TronTon

markodude said:
is it possible that just linking pin A41 and A42 would do the job, as A42 is ground....?
A41.jpg

have you try it dude?
i thought a31 is the key :confused:

i tried link pin u4(a31) with v4 with no luck :(

markodude

Havent tried yet, my P4B-533E is the only HT capable board I have and I dont want to try until someone else does!!
I got A41 from the forums above at hardforum....

TronTon

well, i just break my 1.8A's pin U4(A31#). install it on it7-max2 with no luck at all and the proc still working
can anyone tell me that it7-max2 does support ht, i don't see any setting on the bios. is it gonna enable it automatically?

markodude

Could someone post on Hardforum that you have tried breaking the pin and it has not worked? I would imagine they would appreciate that so nobody else does it!

TronTon

i'm using c6 bios which i assume that is the latest.

actually it makes me dizzy to find those pin but :rolleyes:
i tried link all those pins (u4,v4,v3) even (u23,v23,v24) :p

i got ff code on port80 led, but i;m not sure is it u4 group or u23 group. luckly i did not kill my cpu :eek:

Could someone post on Hardforum
i'm afraid kyle would banned me :p

OP
cack01

cack01

Here is where the new thread is at: http://www.vrforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=5525&perpage=15&pagenumber=2
This is a small snipit:
Ok i see where u're going there... i'm beginning to realize that A31 is a pin u set when u don't want HTT... There's the step before that before we can even set whether we want HTT and that's where we gotta look...

A Circuit would complicate things very much... I just dun understand how i managed to get it working in the first place...

I'll ponder more will post... Thanks Rav

I think it is going to happen soon. Its only a matter of time before someone puts all the pieces togethor. It was a good try TronTon.

Ace-a-Rue

Hawk said:
I don't doubt the pin being enable and disable for HT. I did however ask a very reliable source at intel about this a few weeks back and he reported that it is not functional because the inner connects are laser cut on the die. This could be wrong but I'm doubting it.

I've heard very similar explanation...can't be done because there are no pipelines.

Hawk

Ace-a-Rue said:

I've heard very similar explanation...can't be done because there are no pipelines.
Most of the chips don't have all that is needed for functionallity. HT is disabled on the die and there is nothing anyone can do if that is the case. Hey best of luck to those trying but I fear that they are spinning their wheels.

OP
cack01

cack01

Hawk said:

Most of the chips don't have all that is needed for functionallity. HT is disabled on the die and there is nothing anyone can do if that is the case. Hey best of luck to those trying but I fear that they are spinning their wheels.

But what about all the others that have gotten HT to work for them just by mistake or luck. All speeds of P4's have been shown working including willies,a,b. So what gives?? It seems most have the ability, its just a matter of the mobo accepting it.

P.S. Hawk I know your background so I know Intel Knowlege wise, I know nothing compared to you. :D

JCLW

Can someone with a non HT-enabled processor and someone with a HT-enabled processor dig out a Fluke and test the resistance between:

A31 (@ pin U4) and GTLREF/Vref (@ pin F6)
A31 (@ pin U4) and Vcc (@ pin A10)
A31 (@ pin U4) and Vss (@ pin A11)

Does it change when the system is running?

[edit]
I believe the orange jumpers (on page 21) RiStar is talking about here are just test jumpers used to measure electrical resistance when designing the sockets and nothing to do with HT (the title of the document is Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 478-Pin Socket (mPGA478) Design Guidelines).
[/edit]

- JW

Last edited: