• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible stupid 3dmark 2001 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

A friend of mine just asked me if turning the priority up in the task manager thing on 3dmark 2001 in XP would increase the scores. I'll probably try this when i get home this evening but since i'm at work, I figured I would ask you guys to try to get him an answer quicker. Thanks guys.

also, while i'm thinking about it, i'm trying to increase my 3dmark score, which in all honesty is horrible right now. My high score is 4665 with the system in my sig. If I added ramsinks to my vid card, would that make a noticable difference or would I need to worry about the GPU more. I know the ramsinks definitely won't hurt it, but if that's all I can do right now, will that be enough to at least give me a slight boost? For now, I'll be happy getting 5000 which seems like it's going to be very hard to reach that without some sort of extreme cooling measures. Does anybody know where i can get a decent slot a mobo that allows fsb overclocking? That's a big bottleneck for me right now that i can't overcome since my mobo is ridiculously crappy. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Answer's Yes and No.

see my wintask article here (I ran a PC Mark bench that pertains to your question about 3dmark).

3dMark's thread priority cannot be increased to real-time (the only priority that would yield any significant change) since other apps running in the background would end up locking and, in turn, lock windows (theoretically).

ok, thanks for that link, it told me everything I needed to know. Also, not only do I ask stupid questions, I'm a stupid people too :)

One thing you can try is go to regedit and change the priority of IRQ. You can set your priority to videocard for videocard performence, or set the priority to CMOS for overall performence. I don't have the link here, but you can go to TweakXP , and do a search there.

Thanks Kato, i'll give that a shot when i get home tonight.

lol, maybe i'll do some looking tonight and find just the right one

OCn00b said:
Does anybody know where i can get a decent slot a mobo that allows fsb overclocking? That's a big bottleneck for me right now that i can't overcome since my mobo is ridiculously crappy. Thanks for the help.

Sorry bro, you're outta luck. Slot A Athlons no matter which chipset you mount them to (KX133 or AMD Irongate) are limited to around 110 MHz FSB.

Well, 110 is better than what i'm using now. A 110 fsb would get me around 1045mhz instead of being stuck at 950. Besides, i've been trying to get rid of this motherboard since the day I got the computer. Thanks for the info though man.

Back