• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to custom color a moniter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaldHeadedDork

It really depends on the monitor. Some are easy to disassemble so you can paint the bezel and case, others make it as difficult as possible. Unless someone here has a Samsung 950B you'll have to find out on your own. Nothing wrong with this as long as you remember one rule: Never, never try to force the case apart. If you've removed all the screws and the case still isn't opening, you've either missed a screw or a clip.

I've painted every monitor I've had for about the last seven years. You just have to be careful when disassembling the case and when handling the tube assembly when it is removed. Especially with a 19" or 21" model you have to be careful about where you lift the tube.

Vinyl dye is easier to work with when painting plastic and is much more durable on wear areas. But unless you track down a specialty paint shop that can blend and can spray paint you'll have many fewer color options with vinyl dye.

Krylon just launched a new line of paints designed for plastics that might be worth looking into. I've only seen the ads so I'd recommend testing a couple of pieces (like spare drive bay covers) before doing up your monitor.

BHD

Pinky

Member Thundr7 has customized his 17" Viewsonic CRT (Blue) and my 15" NEC Flat Panel (Grey/Silver) using standard spray paint we bought at home depot... so it's VERY possible ;).

OP
bsspewer

bsspewer

well..i got an old Sceptre 17" monitor from a buddy..it doesn't work anymore, something w/ the power...but anyways, i took all the plastic outer shell pieces off and looks as if it would be easy enough to color it. I'm sure if u can find the right color u can do this to any moniter....AND, i'm more than positive, if you're willing to spend the money, that you could probably make an acrylic case to put the CRT into, throw a few LED's in there, and have the best moniter ever custom built. (btw, if anyone has cut and used acrylic, give me a few pointers, i think i might try this out) SO, in the end, i answered my own question, YES, it is possible to custom color a moniter. They are easy to take apart.

[edit] i just took my samsung syncmaster 753df apart also, fairly easy, just some clips that clipped on the shell. i know the 19" monitors from samsung run of the same outer shell design..

Pinky

LilBuddy said:
does it come out lookin alright? i have dual monitors and one is silver and one is beige

Yup, comes out damn sweet if you can hold a can and spray straight :p

Be sure to tape the display well though. Since we only used enough paint to coat/mask the old color, we didn't bother disassembling the LCD, and didn't cover the back in any way (a little, non-conductive paint really can't hurt the insides). I think the CRT was disassembled though, as it really wasn't that hard.