• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly getting a watercooling setup for Chistmas :D, is this setup gonna perform?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

Possibly getting a watercooling setup for Chistmas :D, is this setup gonna perform?

I can get a radiator from a car for free but I was thinking of these to go along with it:

SWIFTECH MCW372 - $38: http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/watercooling.htm

Pump - $23:
http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/116.htm?210

Sound good to ya'll? Will it outperform my AX-7 w/ 120cfm fan? I'm getting 30C right now with a badly lapped AX-7 (I scratched it up, and after lapping it was a little uneven, that was back in my less experienced days)

RnPgrosz

I would imagine the watercooling setup would outperform the AX-7 easily. Make sure you know whether your doing 1/2 or 3/8(make sure all parts have the correct fittings). I would get a TC-4, Maze 3 or Swiftech MC462-UH over the one you have chosen but its not a big deal.

JML

when you say a radiator from a car, do you mean the actual radiator? Or did you mean to say the heatercore?

eli

What about the Swiftech kit from CrazyPc.com? Looks like a pretty good kit with everything you need for not a bad price. Anyone have any luck with those?

OP
drunkmonkey

drunkmonkey

Would the radiator or heater core from a car be better? Im getting either 4 free from a junkyard?

I'm gonna get the maze 3, here are the options I'm getting with it. Are these right?
(from http://www.dangerden.com/mall/maze3.asp )
Processor Style: AMD Processor Lucite Top
Tops: None
Fitting Size: ½ Fittings
Fitting Type: Chrome Fittings
Extra AMD Holes: None
O-ring: None
Mounting Hardware: Standard
Socket Screw Wrench: Socket Wrench

ATLPIMP

The heater core style heat exchanger is the best in this application. The '86 Chevy Chevelle is the most popular.
On the Maze3, I would get a copper top, brass barbs, and steel mounting hardware.

wildfrogman

i found a 92 ford taurus, 3.0 v-6 non sho version heatercore at autozone for 22 bucks, had right angle 5/8th id copper tubing that is short that would be perfect for computer stuff. I only found this out because i was searching around for a new heatercore that i could use later in my car if it came to that....heheh. Oh and the fin area is 7 3/4 inches tall and around 6 1/8th inches across, 2 inches wide. So it should perform pretty good for cheap. This ford heatercore should work pretty good and maybe cheaper~easier to find in junkyard.....you ever see a taurus in a junkyard? :eek:

OP
drunkmonkey

drunkmonkey

Wel, this junkyard really isnt a junkyard you buy stuff from. Its just a buncha old cars my granddad was gonna fix but never did and now each car has a tree growing through it:D The place is full of old pos volvos an other small cars.