• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly looking for new AGP card for Christmas. Don't know about my system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wtfbatman

Registered
Okay, I've made threads here before asking about the x800 and stuff.. but I never actually ended up buying one. However, here I am, still with my Radeon 9200, which just stopped receiving driver support from ATI not too long ago, and I'm beginning to notice I can't play A LOT of games in a comfortable fashion. So I'm looking for something new.

I only plan on spending maybe $120-30 max before any rebates.

My current system specs (as well as I know):
CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+
Mobo: PCChips m863g
AGP Slot (obviously :()
RAM: 1GB (2x512) Kingston ValueRAM 3200 However, my motherboard only supports 2700
PSU: ~250W(not 100%, mid 200's. and i know i need to upgrade if necessary)
Current vid card: Radeon 9200

Games I play: Counterstrike (1.6/Source), Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2(if possibly with upgrade), Warcraft 3

I would love to be able to play these smoothly, I don't care about quality that much (but yet I think it is something nice to have :)) playing a game with no video lag is something I want.

I plan on this card being the last one ever inside this computer, because I plan on leaving this one to my family when I go off to college, so I'll probably be looking at building my own in a year or so.

I was originally planning on buying an x800GTO because of the 16 pipelines and such.. but after talking to a guy I know he came to the conclusion that something like an x800 would be overkill for my system and it would just bottleneck, which in turn would make it not all that worth it. (paying for something you can't use fully = boo.) But I figure I'd ask around here first.

Thanks in advance, guys/girls. I appreciate it.

some people still like the 9800s. o ya, nice system. almost the exact same as my old one :) still works to this day.

Just about anything would be a jump up. The X800 is a good choice, especially if you want to buy right now. The fact that the X1950 just got released for AGP means lower prices on the 7800s (which perform like X800s but with shader model 3.0), but that hasn't happened yet.

I'd say a X800/7800 would definetly bottleneck a 2400+
Find a 9800pro or the like for 40 bucks used and save up for an overhaul...the 9800 is no slouch at all...it'll rip apart a 9200

Find a 9800, or better yet a 6600GT AGP, their both around the same price, the 6600 GT is a bit better too with supported stuff and might give your rig a bit longer in the gaming world..(not saying that it will though with that CPU.)

I'd wait it out if I were you. Prices will continue to drop, and you may find yourself building a new PC anyway.

start said:
I'd go for an x800/7800 type card. I don't think it's overkill.

yeah it is...... I used to run my 7800GS (the 16/6 version) on my XP-M system. Through extensive testing i figured out i was just out of the bottle neck when i clock the CPU at 2.7Ghz. I ran this speed 24/7 on air for some time.

only at this speed did overclocking the gpu make a large differance. It is major overkill on a 2400+, BUT i would still recommend one. You can pick up a 6800 XT 128mb for cheap and unlock it to 16/6 and then overclock it. I use that card in my old XP-M rig now, and it gave it a new lease on life. It only performs a little less than the 7800. I have no experiance with ATI which is why i don't mention them.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=94803

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2011821

"It is major overkill on a 2400+"

I honestly disagree.

How are you defining overkill? It's going to give him better performance than a 9800 and they don't cost all that much, I'd hardly say it's MAJOR overkill.

start said:
"It is major overkill on a 2400+"

I honestly disagree.

How are you defining overkill? It's going to give him better performance than a 9800 and they don't cost all that much, I'd hardly say it's MAJOR overkill.
Hipcrostino is right: 7800 or X800 series is major overkill for his system and will give little additional performance compared to a 9800Pro. I have firsthand experience with a 6800GT 128MB on a 2.3 GHz AXP system with 166 Mhz FSB. I had upgraded from a Radeon 8500LE 64MB, and I was disappointed with the increase in performance. It wasn't until I upgraded to socket 939 that the true potential of the 6800GT was realized. The problem is mainly the 166 MHz FSB, which severely limits data throughput in that architecture. The problem is less severe with a 200 MHz FSB socket A system, but unfortunately that's not what wtfbatman has.

KillrBuckeye said:
Hipcrostino is right: 7800 or X800 series is major overkill for his system and will give little additional performance compared to a 9800Pro. I have firsthand experience with a 6800GT 128MB on a 2.3 GHz AXP system with 166 Mhz FSB. I had upgraded from a Radeon 8500LE 64MB, and I was disappointed with the increase in performance. It wasn't until I upgraded to socket 939 that the true potential of the 6800GT was realized. The problem is mainly the 166 MHz FSB, which severely limits data throughput in that architecture. The problem is less severe with a 200 MHz FSB socket A system, but unfortunately that's not what wtfbatman has.

Ok, I'm prepared to meet you guys half way. Lets say it's average overkill? :D

More than slight overkill, but less than MAJOR overkill :beer:

yeah, thats the card i wanted to get, but it wasnt out... so i got an x800gto instead. i'm not sure which is faster or has more oc potential. i know the 6800 supports pixel shader 3.0...

Gabkicks said:
yeah, thats the card i wanted to get, but it wasnt out... so i got an x800gto instead. i'm not sure which is faster or has more oc potential. i know the 6800 supports pixel shader 3.0...

I believe that they are about the same performance wise, I was also looking into the x800 series when I upgraded. The only real difference is the PS 3.0 support on the Nvidia card as you stated.

jiggamanjb said:
The only real difference is the PS 3.0 support on the Nvidia card as you stated.

Which from my experience, as someone running an X800-series AGP card on one system and a PS 3.0-capable 6800-series on another, is really not much of a difference at all. (at least for the games I play)

Back