• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly of a bad CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Johan45, I have read the article by sin you linked before and read it again just now. I don't have any background in electronics and it's just a bit over my head. So why is dividing the phase at the driver level bad? What is the end result impact on power phase?

First thing is why they would do that. To save space and money on the board production.
It comes down to current capacity of the individual parts and load. In a "fake phase" system both phase currents are pulled through one driver which may or may not be capable of high loads so they either throttle or die. In "double" phasing that load is split between two drivers.
I haven't seen the new asrock boards so this may or may not be the case but most manufacturers use the combined driver/mosfet these days so it may be a thing of the past.

First thing is why they would do that. To save space and money on the board production.
It comes down to current capacity of the individual parts and load. In a "fake phase" system both phase currents are pulled through one driver which may or may not be capable of high loads so they either throttle or die. In "double" phasing that load is split between two drivers.
I haven't seen the new asrock boards so this may or may not be the case but most manufacturers use the combined driver/mosfet these days so it may be a thing of the past.

Okay, I see. Thanks.

Back