• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential GPU bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

So, Christmas come and gone and I've got some money for an upgrade; namely graphics. Now, I've been running an 8800GTX and I know that I'll get a tremendous performance increase. What I want to know is am I hampered with an LGA 775 socket motherboard in terms of motherboard bandwidth and CPU capabilities? I should note that I'm waiting for Nvidia to release their card to see how it stacks up to ATI's 5000 series.

ratbuddy

What resolution is your monitor? What games do you play?

Can't answer without knowing that...

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
In a single GPU setup LGA775 will work great, especially if you OC that E8400. If you ever do decide to go 2 GPUs and you think your CPU is holding you back, then you can upgrade to a C2Q (Q9550/Q9650). That's my plan anyway, I'm goin to stretch my LGA775 for all it's worth before I upgrade to i5/i7 or whatever will be out in a few years.

OP
Stavros

Stavros

What resolution is your monitor? What games do you play?

Can't answer without knowing that...

Monitor is Acer X233W so I'm stuck at 1680x1050 (Not that I'm complaining). I tend to favor the FPS genre so I've played Crysis, I'm about to start S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Cherobyl over again and probably play GTA4 again when I get a better graphics card. I do plan on having one GPU since I don't have that much to spend. I don't really want to upgrade to i5 since I still think I can pull a few more years out of it. I am prepared for OCing the CPU if need be.

jediobi1

Monitor is Acer X233W so I'm stuck at 1680x1050 (Not that I'm complaining). I tend to favor the FPS genre so I've played Crysis, I'm about to start S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Cherobyl over again and probably play GTA4 again when I get a better graphics card. I do plan on having one GPU since I don't have that much to spend. I don't really want to upgrade to i5 since I still think I can pull a few more years out of it. I am prepared for OCing the CPU if need be.

i have the same cpu with dual 4850's and will be upgrading to a 5770 or 5870 here pretty soon and they should run fine on a 775, 775 still has alot of life left in it

jokers_greg

don't think a 5770 is much better, or better at all in fact, than dual 4850's. At 1680x1050, a nice 45nm quad or dual core will still get the job done and won't cause any bottlenecks (if overclocked). If you like your games at max, I wouldn't suggest any clock speed below 3.5ghz.

anyway as far as upgrades go, what is your budget? I'd suggest a 4890 or GTX280, around there for a sizeable performance increase. However, with the advent of DX11 look at a 5770 or 5850. Nvidia won't be releasing their DX11 competition for a few weeks still.

kkpudge7

As stated above what kind of budget are you working with? If you are wanting to spend <$200 I would say 4890. If you can stretch your budget a little bit go with a 5850/70. I know the 5870 is $400, but its an awesome card :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
5770 is about as fast as GTX260 216...

HD4890 is what I would do with $200 and I had to buy now...

Marshmallow64

another +1 on the hd4890 if you had to buy now, although I would wait awhile until prices drop on all the current cards, should be happening in a few months.