• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power consumption and video cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Ok, I've got an incredibly wierd problem. I have tried 6 video cards in my K7D, all of which work on my 8k3a. 3 are PCI, 3 are AGP. with the TNT1 and 8500 AGP cards when I turn the power on the fans will spin for a split second and the whole system goes dead. with the TNT2 it starts up and 3 seconds later shuts itself down. With an old 4mb PCI it will startup and boot into windows but nothing will be displayed on screen. with a gf2mx PCI I get the same thing as TNT1 and 8500, fans get a jolt of power and that's it system is dead. the only card that works is some trident card that I have no idea the name or size of memory.

On top of this I don't have a -5v rail but from what i've read it's not even used. The only thing in common with the cards that don't work is they are newer and more powerful, that doesn't neccessarily meen they use more power though. any suggestions? oh and I tried mixing and matching when I have any of the cards that cause the system to not startup at all (8500 TNT1 and gf2) system doesn't start, but when I have one of the other 2 PCI cards in there and the TNT2 as long as it's on inital display of PCI the system will start to boot windows then freeze while booting up....

a truly wierd situation....anyone able to offer any suggestions?

oh and I am using the 1.3 BIOS for the k7d...there site is down so I can't get the 1.5 but the video issues were supposed to be fixed with 1.3....

OP
attack

attack

PSU is an antec 510watt....i just tried a new PSU...AGP works fine now. So my problems could be:
-5v line needs to be there for this board
one of my splices didn't work right (highly doubtful)
my 5v or 3.3v sense lines are in the wrong place....anyone able to help me with that? I just guessed, I moved em around a couple times but to no avail.

(reason i'm doing all this work is because it;s a 510watt antec :p)