• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power in a dual system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I'm completely new to actually setting up dual systems, but I'm getting ready to set up 2; my question is simply: will I need two PSUs, or will one do well enough on its own?

Depending on what type they are and what they're going to be used for, one should be fine so long as it's quality and has a good output.

Buy cheap, get cheap.

umm....water cooling, powering 3 CDD/DVD burners, 3 HDDs. 2 cold cathode ray tubes, and the dual AMDs =P

would 500w be sufficient for that, or is it kinda overkill?

The water cooling pump has its own powersuplly, no? That would mean that your cooling system consumes very little power compared to a fan cooled system.

Get a single good one with as many watts as you can afford(at least 400).

didn't think about the pump's own power supply, but now that I do think about it, is there a way I can get it to run from the PSU? (I want to have less cables coming out of the case, not more lol)

$60 price diff =o

could you please provide me with a link? :D

ah, I see, well, it's still less :p

I have a TTGI Silent Triple-fan 520W in my second dual MPX that has the same specs as the Vantec. It's available for $78 and $10 coupon codes are easy to find for Directron. A very good PSU for $68.

Enermax 550W in my main one and it keeps very stable lines with 6 SCSI drives, 2 opticals and all PCI slots loaded down...not to mention 120mm, 2X92mm and 4X80mm fans going in it. Should be able to grab one of those for around $100-120.

i like my Leadman 500w (Jon's died on him recently i belive tho), but im not running a huge power draining system, and it was less than 1/2 the cost of anything else with comparable wattage

Back