• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power on key switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dralan

hello, ive ben reading this forum for a while now (got my first mod ideas from here), yet this is my first post...

what I am wondering.. I got this link http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=2756&cgrfnbr=501&ctgys= from one of the threads a while ago and was wondering if there was a way to hook that up so I would have to turn the key and push the regular power button inorder to turn the computer on, instead of just turning the key.. lol hope someone knows what im talking about

CrashOveride

ya... hook one prong up to the red wire and then take another wire (could be red) and hook up he other prong from that to the prong on your momentary switch and tehn the black wire from the other prong on your switch back to the mobo:D

Abra_Volta

Yeah, that "starting" system is used mainly in large trucks like 18-wheelers. Turn the key, which feeds power to a starter switch, hit the switch and everything turns on.

DaveSauce

yea, i've been thinking of doing a key mod like that myself.....but I was gonna use the switch from a car....specifically a Merkur Scorpio, because the key is so cool (and my dad has a shop manual for it, lol).....heh.

anyhow, all you need to do is hook up the leads from the motherboard to each end of the switch. Doesn't matter which end, because all you're doing is completing the circuit (unless the key has a diode in it, lol)

Anyway, it's just a momentary on switch.....you will turn it like you push the power button. There is probably a way to rig it up so if they key is removed, the machine will turn off......hrm, or I bet if you rig up something through the parallel port, you can lock the system....it will stay on without the key, but you can't do anything until the key is back in....

fiji

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

yes!! i got it first:D

and yea if you put the key and power button in a series it should work fine

trdsw20

Ill be 3rd welcome to the forums!!!!

yeah that would work good. Are you trying to keep someone off your system?? or is it just a mod????

OP
D

Dralan

Well a little bit of both actually. I really want to keep my brother off my computer, but if I wanted to I could use the power on BIOS password, so thats where the bit of modder in me took over and put the key swich in :)

and thankyou Crash, the way you dicribed worked perfectly.

and thankyou everyone for the welcome :)

CrashOveride

Dralan said:
Well a little bit of both actually. I really want to keep my brother off my computer, but if I wanted to I could use the power on BIOS password, so thats where the bit of modder in me took over and put the key swich in :)

and thankyou Crash, the way you dicribed worked perfectly.

and thankyou everyone for the welcome :)

no problem:D thats what forums are for.

the-one1

i have one fo those on my pc right now. the wiring went between my power switch and the mobo

-------key-------powerbutton
-------------------------l

put it in right after i read this, thought of doing it a long time ago though. turn key then push buttom to turn pc on, then turn key to off position and you cant turn pc off with button

CrashOveride

they used to do it with old comptuers that use AT PSU's wher you had to have the Keyin to use it... hated it cuz i couldnt use my step-dad's computer 😠 then i got my onw :happy: lol