• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foamy11

Registered
Hello guys.
Iv got a problem with my computers power,it's shut off automaticaly 3 days ago,it also shut off by itself today,so i thought id try turn it on again and it got to about 3 seconds into the boot,then shut off again.

It did have a BSoD and then a black screen with a Logo came up after it,saying (CPU temerature ) or something down the bottom.Windows reported it was a Graphics card issue so i rechecked my bios and driver updates and that didn't fix it.
Its still shutting down and driving me nuts.
(no beeps from the computer itself)

(specs)
AMD Phenom II 3.0 core
ASUS M4N78-AM Motherboard
G-Skill 2x2 (4g) DDR2 memmory
Silent Cell 9800GT 1Gig graphics card
Thermaltake Evo_blue 750watt Power Suply Unit
500G Western Digital Hard dive

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Check your heatsink is mounted correctly on the processor... a bad mount will cause the processor to overheat and shut down the computer...

psionic98

that would cause it, but not 3 seconds into boot.. even a bare processor should make it that far.. or does OP mean boot into windows and not right after the POST screen.. cause after POST would be another issue.

checking heatsink and fan for heatsink would be #1, then if its still failing that hard go back to the old method of using 1 stick of ram, no dvd drives, 1 hdd, onboard graphics(if you have em) etc etc.. bare minimums and see if you can get into the system..

or quicker, try another gfx card if you have one

OP
Foamy11

Foamy11

Registered
How old is the PSU? Anyway, standard start taking parts out one by one and testing.

Ah it's a new PSU,i bought all the parts for the computer at the same time.
It does have a warranty of 2-5 Years i think,i'll have to go look it up.

OP
Foamy11

Foamy11

Registered
that would cause it, but not 3 seconds into boot.. even a bare processor should make it that far.. or does OP mean boot into windows and not right after the POST screen.. cause after POST would be another issue.

checking heatsink and fan for heatsink would be #1, then if its still failing that hard go back to the old method of using 1 stick of ram, no dvd drives, 1 hdd, onboard graphics(if you have em) etc etc.. bare minimums and see if you can get into the system..

or quicker, try another gfx card if you have one

Yeah i can use standard settings on the board,it has inbuilt graphics.
I'll keep this topic up to date too.

I'll try after work since its 4 am and nearly work,lol.