• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power requirements of the X800 XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodberry

Registered
I know these cards have a molex connector because they require so much juice. At the moment I am running a generic 360 W PSU, would it be worth upgrading the PSU when I get the X800 XT graphics card?

3line

Depends. 360 is fine if the 5v and 12v rails are strong. Otherwise, 400 is a safe bet. Do you know what the max 5v and 12v draw is for your system?

OP
G

Goodberry

Registered
Unfortunately, I don't know. I bought the computer from Mesh and gradually replaced its innards, so I have no stats on the PSU. I think I'll risk it.

Mr.Guvernment

no name @ all or anything on the side of the PSU or some tables showing some info ?

That asus mobo should be able to install the NVIDIA software that will tell you your cpu speed / fsb and i beleive all your voltages as well

Odie812

If you aren't overclocking you might be okay. My only question is, are you sure you want to risk running/losing a $500 graphics processor (and the rest of your system, for that matter) on a generic PSU that may not have enough juice?

You can get a 430W Antec or a 530W Fortron source for about 70-75 clams at Newegg. I have the Fortron, and I can't imagine buying another PSU for at least a few years. My computer's never been more healthy. I'm glad I did, because even on my 9800Pro, the system felt better when I upgraded (from 400W Antec).

Bottom line is, while you may not need a new PSU, it is certainly a worthy investment not only to protect such a powerful video card, but your entire computer.

Best,

Odie :)

bobmanfoo

Disabled
it should be OK, unless its a real cheap-o, i was running my rig with a true330w fine, cpu was OCed and stable with the x800pro, the 330w was even good with my 6800GT...

edit: i just noticed you have an a64, so i retract my opinion above. buy a new psu either way, your rig is top of line, so it deserves a good PSU, you don't want a POS psu to FUBAR any of your equipment. i just got the new OCZ psu, and am very pleased with it, strong rails especially the [email protected], dedicated REMI shielded HDD and VGA molexes, adjustable rails, and supports BTX and PCI-e. so this should last me through this current rig, and at least through 2 more.

edit: ok need to put the pipe down, you have an xp3200+, so i go with my first opinion, although an upgrade wouldn't hurt, holler at me if you want an Antec true330w than im definite will push your rig fine,

Last edited:
OP
G

Goodberry

Registered
Ah well, you only live once. OCUK have a special offer on Akasa 460 W PSUs atm. Will buy.

Yuriman

I suggest going sparkle or fortron. I have a sparkle 350 power-q, and it handled my barton at 2.5ghz with 2 cd drives raid and a 9700 overclocked. The rails stayed within .1v at all times. If you spent $40 and got a 400 you would not be disapointed.

invisible hand

I have a 550W antec true control and it has served me well. However, is it safe to have my X800 pro and my Swiftect pump on the same wire? or should I use another connector?