• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supplie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HAZZ2

Registered
I was wondering how I can get all my toyies to work I have a floppy and a zip and a burner and a cd rom and 2 fans plus a hs fan and a mobo fan and a fan on the vid card and a fan in a pci slot do I need more power supplie than 300 watts???

Thats a hard question to answer correctly as we dont know the size or current draw from the fans.. As for a power supply all I can suggest is checking the rating of 300 watts as this could be constant or peak power, not to mention some dont actually push out the power they claim to.. Having said that providing the fans do not draw a great deal of current you should be ok with 300 watts, but if your buying a new power supply I would personally look for a higher rating

-----------------------

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff CAS 2)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Eraser X2 Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live Value
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

I've got a 1.33, 2 cd drives, a 7200 rpm HD, 4 80mm fans. 1 120mm fan, and a 12 volt 500 gph pump running on my 300 watt supply in my enlight case and it's doing ok. I am getting a Enermax 431 watt supply today though. But the 300 watter seems to be up to the task.

If you are borderline, wire the 120's to a wall block transformer. 2x .25A 120s spin like they are on a 7v line with a 200mA transformer. I think the one I have rigged is from an old portable phone but most people have at least a half dozen of these from various sources and can be used to run all kinds of stuff if you don't want to load you PS.

I'm going to post this separate it may save someone.

TT120 (May 11, 2001 08:08 a.m.):
I've got a 1.33, 2 cd drives, a 7200 rpm HD, 4 80mm fans. 1 120mm fan, and a 12 volt 500 gph pump running on my 300 watt supply in my enlight case and it's doing ok. I am getting a Enermax 431 watt supply today though. But the 300 watter seems to be up to the task.

Beware the long cables with the 431 watt ps. I got one about a month ago and had to sacrifice a drive bay to stuff all the cables into. This PS is meant for a server tower, anything smaller will be cramped. I still use it because it's awesome, yet I had to remove my cd-rom and keep my cdrw.

rugby (May 14, 2001 06:15 a.m.):
TT120 (May 11, 2001 08:08 a.m.):

Beware the long cables with the 431 watt ps. I got one about a month ago and had to sacrifice a drive bay to stuff all the cables into. This PS is meant for a server tower, anything smaller will be cramped. I still use it because it's awesome, yet I had to remove my cd-rom and keep my cdrw.
Long cables is right! I had an extra bay already so it wasnt an issue but jeeeze they are long.

Back