• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guythepro

Quick question: does connecting several high-powered devices (HDD, GPU, etc.) to the same 12v wire present problems.

Here's my delema...I have a 300watt brandless ps with 4 12v connectors on 2 sets of wires. On one set i have it connected to my CDRW and the water cooling system (I have a Koolance tower). On the other, I have my HDD and my GPU (nVidia GeForce FX 5600. When booting after I installed everything in my new case, I would see the boot sequence for windows 2000 on my screen up until the login screen was to appear, in which case my screen would go blank and go into sleep mode as if nothing was coming through. At first I realized that I forgot to connect a 12v to the graphics card, and after doing so tried to reboot, but nothing happened. Safe mode worked just fine, so my though it that there is not enough power b/c the primary hdd and gpu are on the same power cable. Also, I should point out that I have 1 80mm fan connected to the power for the cd and water cooler, and another 80mm fan (exact same as other one) connected with the hdd and gpu.

Is there a problem connecting two relatively high-powered devices to the same cable?

If anyone can help (or much less understand what I just wrote), it would by much appreciated.

--
PRo