• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply for pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peewee

could i use a 12volt battery charger to run the 156wat pelt i know they have a lot of amps comming out...

Yes, if you parallel it with a car battery. Chargers typically put out pulsating DC, not pure DC. Pelts do not like pulsating DC, according to an article I read. That is why they do not work well with using Pulse Width Modulation to regulate their temperature. By paralleling a car battery with the charger, the battery has the effect of a large electrolytic capacitor and filters the pulsating DC into pure DC. If you have one, you can also substitute a large value electrolytic capacitor for the car battery.

Hoot

Hoot (Jun 14, 2001 11:47 a.m.):
Yes, if you parallel it with a car battery. Chargers typically put out pulsating DC, not pure DC. Pelts do not like pulsating DC, according to an article I read. That is why they do not work well with using Pulse Width Modulation to regulate their temperature. By paralleling a car battery with the charger, the battery has the effect of a large electrolytic capacitor and filters the pulsating DC into pure DC. If you have one, you can also substitute a large value electrolytic capacitor for the car battery.

Hoot

Additionally a fan because some battery chargers have over-heating protection cut-offs.

peewee (Jun 13, 2001 06:57 p.m.):
could i use a 12volt battery charger to run the 156wat pelt i know they have a lot of amps comming out...

No battery charger I have ever seen gives anywhere near the 15 to 16 Amps you would need to power a 156W pelt. Guess if you used a battery in the curcuit it would work but you would have to be carefull you did not flatten the battery. A properly retad 15V 20A bench power supply would be a better choice

Back