• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply I/O switch necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redstone

I am looking at the Fortron FSP350-60BN through Directron and notice it does not have an on/off switch on the back of the supply. Are they really needed? I assume not, since PC Power and Cooling's complete line doesn’t have them as well.
Does simply unplugging the power cord accomplish the same thing?

Last edited:

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
No, they are not nessisary. Unplugging it does do the same thing. I think that having it is a nice thing. It is a cleaner, faster disconnect and a sign of company that does not cut corners.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
and a sign of company that does not cut corners.

I wouldnt say that. PC Power and Cooling does not cut corners. I would think it is more of a space issue and also is a switch needed? I personnelly dont think so. what purpose does a switch serve on modern systems? Now that I think of it the only PSU's I have with swiches are the cheaper ones.

repo man11

I like having the switch. Its nice for when you're clearing CMOS. And when I'm swapping something out, it is nice to leave it plugged in so the case is grounded, but the switch is off, so I don't have to worry about it accidentally coming on.

Crazy Jayhawk

I like having it. If you need to disconnect the power RIGHT NOW you need that switch. I've tried pulling out the power cord quickly and it just doesn't go.

I don't see it as a sign of cutting corners or not, rather it's just something that some companies put on and others don't. Nothing more.

larrymoencurly

I have good and bad PSUs with switches and without switches. I don't think a switch is a sign of quality.

Tmod

Crazy Jayhawk

Curious question?

If you need to disconnect the power RIGHT NOW you need that switch. I've tried pulling out the power cord quickly and it just doesn't go.

Are you saying that if you pull the power cord that the power will not be cut off as quick as flipping the switch on the back of the PSU?

OP
Redstone

Redstone

Are you saying that if you pull the power cord that the power will not be cut off as quick as flipping the switch on the back of the PSU?

I'd like to know the answer to Tmod's "curious question" question as well. It would seem if you pull the plug all power would be cut off immediately

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
Redstone said:

I'd like to know the answer to Tmod's "curious question" question as well. It would seem if you pull the plug all power would be cut off immediately

Nope, pulling the plug is not as quick as the switch. Think about it, the prongs are about 1/2 an inch long and it has to slide the whole lenght of the prongs before power is cut. Yes, it is a minior difference, but when something is frying in your computer....

I agree that PC P&C are quality PSUs. It is my opinion that not having a switch is a cost cutting measure. They may not cut other corners, but they still negected to put in a switch for me.

OP
Redstone

Redstone

Nope, pulling the plug is not as quick as the switch. Think about it, the prongs are about 1/2 an inch long and it has to slide the whole lenght of the prongs before power is cut. Yes, it is a minior difference, but when something is frying in your computer....

I suppose if your frying your computer it may be quicker to just grab a cord and yank compared to fumbling for a switch on the back of your rig. Anyway, I hope it never comes to that.

Tmod

Another curious question

Ok for the members looking for the switch.

Don't you people run some type of power strip to filter the power going to the computer?

If you do it has a switch doesn't it?

If you don't you should be using one.