• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply orientation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hi Guys, a while ago I made a post that my computer would shutdown in the middle of my work, and you guys told me it was my psu so I am currently buying a new psu however I am not sure which way I should place the psu with the fan up toward me or down towards the floor now my computer sits on carpet but has two feet that keep it raised just a little bit however I’m guessing that sucks I’m more dust which I’m guessing is not healthy for the life of the unit? Sorry if this sounds very newbie. I look forward to hearing from you all thanks. Also is rosewill a good brand?

What case is this mounted in? Does it have a dust filter for the PSU intake?

I don't have any experience with Rosewill power supplies. I tend to use JonnyGuru.com to research PSU's to find a quality unit on sale. Generally speaking, I stick with EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair but have had good luck with Cooler Master in the past too.

What case is this mounted in? Does it have a dust filter for the PSU intake?

I don't have any experience with Rosewill power supplies. I tend to use JonnyGuru.com to research PSU's to find a quality unit on sale. Generally speaking, I stick with EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair but have had good luck with Cooler Master in the past too.

Hey blaylock, the unit is mounted in a Corsair vengeance c70 and it has a dust filter directly under the psu. I look forward to hearing from you soon thanks again Gabe.

Then I would mount it facing down towards the filter. Just make sure to do frequent cleanings. Keeping the carpet vacuumed regularly will go a long way as well.

Then I would mount it facing down towards the filter. Just make sure to do frequent cleanings. Keeping the carpet vacuumed regularly will go a long way as well.

Hey blaylock, what is the best way to clean the psu without breaking it, because I took a can of air and sprayed in the power supply but I think it made it worse because now it’s completely dead how can I prevent this? aside from doing regular vacuuming in the room? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Hey blaylock, what is the best way to clean the psu without breaking it, because I took a can of air and sprayed in the power supply but I think it made it worse because now it’s completely dead how can I prevent this? aside from doing regular vacuuming in the room? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.
Air shouldn't cause any issues for your psu. I hit mine with a full 120psi from the air compressor to clean out the dustbunnies and haven't ever had an issue. Side note : I have heard it isn't good for your fan bearings to spin them up like that so I stick a pencil in between the blades.

Air shouldn't cause any issues for your psu. I hit mine with a full 120psi from the air compressor to clean out the dustbunnies and haven't ever had an issue. Side note : I have heard it isn't good for your fan bearings to spin them up like that so I stick a pencil in between the blades.

Thanks you very much for your help knoober :)

The best way to clean the psu is to prevent the dust from getting in on the first place. Dust filters and regular cleanings are your best practice.

I wouldn't recommend opening it up unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's the single component in your pc that can cause serious harm to you.

don't open your psu, unless you're Oklahomawolf.
I have found that on "better" units the failure is most often the fan.
with hydrodynamic bearings I mount them fan horizontal, fan up, same with rifle bearing fans.
double ball bearing fans I mount in any position and life seems to be about the same.
canned air is fine for chasing out the dustbunnies, but do prevent the fan from rotating, the bearings are not made to spin at high rpm.

The best way to clean the psu is to prevent the dust from getting in on the first place. Dust filters and regular cleanings are your best practice.

I wouldn't recommend opening it up unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's the single component in your pc that can cause serious harm to you.
Thanks for your help blaylock.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

don't open your psu, unless you're Oklahomawolf.
I have found that on "better" units the failure is most often the fan.
with hydrodynamic bearings I mount them fan horizontal, fan up, same with rifle bearing fans.
double ball bearing fans I mount in any position and life seems to be about the same.
canned air is fine for chasing out the dustbunnies, but do prevent the fan from rotating, the bearings are not made to spin at high rpm.

Thanks for your help

What GPU do you have? To answer your implied question about which PSU to choose: Either Seasonic Focus + Gold or EVGA SuperNOVA G3 in either 550W or 650W. The reason I ask about the GPU is because the can be a big power user. You can use the calculator here to determine what rating you need for your PSU. https://outervision.com/

For mounting I agree that facing down is preferred, provided there is at least 1 cm of clearance from the carpet. The maintenance might be more intensive. If you anticipate periods were you don't get in and clean the filter, then consider fan up as well.

Back