• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Powering A pelt $$$$$$$ : (

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
S

SPLEEN

Man I have been checking out power supplies for a pelt and they are expensive!!! Would this power supply work for a 118w pelt; its a power supply from pcpowercooling.com. Output of 12v @ 9 amps. how do amps affect the volts, I want to do this but not spend big bucks!!! help.

That will just barely work. The good news is most power supplies have a variable output, so you can compensate for the drop through the wire. Pelts do suck the current. I hope you dont intend to cool a high speed (>1.0 Ghz) Tbird with that. 118W will not cut it.

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 26, 2001 09:37 a.m.):
That will just barely work. The good news is most power supplies have a variable output, so you can compensate for the drop through the wire. Pelts do suck the current. I hope you dont intend to cool a high speed (>1.0 Ghz) Tbird with that. 118W will not cut it.

Hoot
what about a 13.8 v @ 3 0r 5 amps? It sound like the amps have to be around 10 to work!! this sucks I thought I was getting into cheap cooling!!

So how does amps effect voltage?

Here is a simple analogy, think of a water line in your house you may have about 60psi running through 3/4 inch pipe. Now what if you tried to run water through a pipe 1 foot in diameter what would happen? You would get just a trickle as you cant supply enough volume of water to mantain 60psi. The psi would be the voltage and the volume deliverd the amps.

SPLEEN (Apr 26, 2001 11:05 a.m.):
what about a 13.8 v @ 3 0r 5 amps? It sound like the amps have to be around 10 to work!! this sucks I thought I was getting into cheap cooling!!

Nah nah, if you up the voltage, the peltier will draw more current (and cool more), up to the point where its internal architecture (number of peltier junction devices) self limits. I have a 156W 15V peltier. I was running it last night at 13.2V and it drew only 9A (and cooled less). Interestingly, at that voltage, with a 1.0G/266 tbird running 1.9V on the core at 10x150, it idled at -4C and climbed to 32C running Prime95. Without the peltier, it idled at 22C and rose to 39C running Prime95. Thats only a 7C improvement for a lot of trouble and additional energy consumed.

Hoot

Back