• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powering Fans from a wall outlet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLambeth87

Hey Guys,
I'm adding an external radiator to my setup and am not wanting to run the fans from the PC. Reason for this is it will be extra cabling I have to run from the system so I am looking at just powering the 4 fans from a wall outlet. I am thinking about buying something like this:

http://www.frys.com/product/6146259?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

And then wiring the fans to it. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Josh

- - - Updated - - -

Better yet, how about this?

http://www.frys.com/product/7879069?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Need to watch the amps. ;)
Most of those little adapters only hold 1 or 2 amps. That equates to 1 adapter per fan. You need something better than that.
Think small automotive battery charger.

Could get a 12V power brick from a laptop or something similar and wire a fan splitter to it.

OK. Lets do a little comparison. A standard motherboard fan header can take 1 amp without burning up. How many of these fans would YOU run off that? Me personally, 1 high output fan per header. I trust no companys advertised fan specs.

Thanks for the info guys. Yes I realized that was a AC rectifier. I was going off what the specs said if .13amp per fan so was looking at 2 amps total output thinking that would be okay. Thanks for the help!

OK. Lets do a little comparison. A standard motherboard fan header can take 1 amp without burning up. How many of these fans would YOU run off that? Me personally, 1 high output fan per header. I trust no companys advertised fan specs.
I am actually running 4x 0.25A fans on 1 header right now

Why not a cheap 300w fanless PSU? I don't think I'd even worry about quality, really, since it would only be powering fans?

Decided to just build a long cable to run from my system to the radiator. I'm making it with a bullet plug on the radiator side to allow quick disconnecting of the radiator if need be. I am then building a small breakout box to split the power into the 4 fans along with 2x white LED strips for accent lighting. :) I'll have pictures tonight for people once it's finished.

Josh

Back