• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powering the pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simon389

How do I use a seperate ATX power supply to put at least 18 volts into a pelt that has the following specs:

Imax = 11.3 Amps
Qmax = 172 Watts
Vmax = 24.6 Volts
Delta Tmax = 69 (C)

Also, does anybody know where I can get an ORANGE cold cathode??

Thanks!

Sorry Simon, it's not that easy I'm afraid. You'll need to find a psu that will put out 16 to 18 volts.

Hold your breath and open your wallet, bud. www.peaktopeakpower.com has a good selection of psu's. I'm also sure that some others here have found some good suppliers too.

By the way, is that Calvin College in Kalamazoo? Drove past yesterday going to a customer's house.

naw dude, it's in your home town of GR right on the beltline

by the way, can't I just put both the 12+ line and the 12- line together to get 24v??

Is there a cheaper solution than peak to peak or does everybody just use that??

danger den sells a 24V psu for like 115 not a bad price. ifyou connect your +12 to your -12 you will have probs cus a pelt takes like 10 amps most -12 have like 1 amp or less hence a problem arises

simon that will have a good start on the power you need to run that pelt but 24A is a hefty task you will ether need a dedicated power supply or some piggy backs.

try this

your link is dead.

Yeah I was going to run that ATX power supply dedicated, which I believe means seperate from my systems power supply. So if I used this power supply alone to power it and just hooked the 12v line up to it, it would work good??

By the way, how do I get the power supply to turn on without the mobo connector connected to anything??

so I would connect both of those power supplies to the pelt?? Off of that new power supply you showed me, which line do I use??

ok twist the +12V rail(yellow one) from the new psu to a lead on the +12V on the new one to get a joint line should provide you with the proper amount of power for the pelt

no it doesnt it just means you can pull more current without overloading the psu thats all.

check out the classafieds bender is droping a pelt plus psu for it!!!

ssjwizard said:
ok twist the +12V rail(yellow one) from the new psu to a lead on the +12V on the new one to get a joint line should provide you with the proper amount of power for the pelt

So take a dedicated ATX PSU, then twist two 12V leads together from two different molex connectors on the same PSU?

Not sure If I fully understand your sentence.

EDIT: Would that be enough power to run a 78 Watt Pelt?

no you take the 12 V rail from one psu and twist it to the 12v rail on the second psu.

Back