• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powerleap a dell p4 1.3 ghz to 2.4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlo56

Wonder if anyone is familiar with the powerleap PL-P4/n adapter which allows low end willamette P4 to upgrade to 2.0+ ghz? (it changes socket 423 pin to 478 pin)

My p4 1.3 ghz has 400 mhz bus and 256 L2 cache. I could powerleap to a P4 2.4 or 2.6 Ghz Northwood 512 kb cache and 400 mhz bus for around $300-400.
would u guys say that its worth it?

How does 2.0+ Northwood system compare with 2.0+A and B systems? Could i possibly upgrade to a A or B system with my 400 mhz bus?

Any suggestions appreciated.

(p.s. currently have L2 256k cache...i can still upgrade to a 512k cache processor?)

Well, if the Dell you have is listed in their compatibility list, then yes it should work. And the cache is onboard the processor so if you replace the processor you replace the cache so no problems there. The only thing is the Dell may need a BIOS update... so check Powerleap's compatibility listing to make sure as it should say whether it needs a BIOS flash or not. A 2.6GHz processor would be more than twice the speed you have now due to the added cache, so if things seem slow or bogged down with your system, I'd say it's worth it. Just don't expect to overclock with the Dell.

Oh yeah, doing this will probably void your warranty with Dell if you still have one. Of course, anyone that frequents overclocking forums probably stopped caring about warranties a long time ago. :D ;)

thanx for reply....
I have heard that P4 2.2 and 2.6 ghz are good chips while P4 2.4 ghz should be avoid....
what is ur take on this?

Also, I have to stick to a 400 mhz FSB chip and NOT a 533 mhz?
thanx again!

jlo56 said:
thanx for reply....
I have heard that P4 2.2 and 2.6 ghz are good chips while P4 2.4 ghz should be avoid....
what is ur take on this?

Also, I have to stick to a 400 mhz FSB chip and NOT a 533 mhz?
thanx again!

I don't think the speed of the chip makes much of a difference besides the obvious in the speed of the chip. The 2.4 isn't such a hot overclocker, but you won't be overclocking with a Dell anyway. Also, the second question is more dependent on the type of RAM you have... but to be safe I'd stick with a 400FSB chip.

i have 512 MB of PC800 RDRAM for that matter
I dont know if that would allow me to move to 533 mhz bus from a 400 mhz...
would it also depend upon by mobo?

Back