• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pre-planning for psu failure!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

ok, last nite i got all the stuff ordered for a christmas computer my dad is having me build for the family. nothing fancy, basically just an internet and word processing machine. this is the case my sister liked, and i'm putting an amd duron 1.8 [applebred core], cd-rw drive, 2x256 pqi RAM, fx5500, and one 80gb hdd. at least from newegg, i haven't heard much good about the aspire psu's that come in the cases so i'm expecting it to die or need replacing fairly soon. if/when that time comes, how much power do i actually need for the system?

Even 350w will do it, I've had a simular system but with some more stuff and I used a generic 350w psu for about a year, and it is still going on a computer I built for my brother's girlfriend. My point is generic psu are not good for overclocking but it does well for a computer that won't be overclocked, but there is also the problem that if it dies it might take some stuff with it, I'd just get a 350w psu from a good brand just to be safe.

if you're going to use a generic PSU, make sure the case is well ventilated. They aren't designed with large heatsinks so the hotter the air going into the PSU, the worse it is and increases the likelihood of failure.

Know Nuttin said:
if you're going to use a generic PSU, make sure the case is well ventilated. They aren't designed with large heatsinks so the hotter the air going into the PSU, the worse it is and increases the likelihood of failure.
yeah, i'm planning to have a fan in any spot that is pre-drilled for one. the case is [likely] going to be inside a desk, so it needs all the help it can get.

i've got an aspire 450 w in atm because i had to exchange my ocz modstream with a computer I was building for a friend...forgot about the whole 24pin for pci-e :bang head

Its been in for about 8 months and hasnt died on me or anything. The rails are horid though so dont count on oc'ing that...then again i do have 6 fans for my case(didnt think u were anyways).

All in all it prob wont fail on ya unless i got a really good aspire.
Going to be replacing this aspire witha fortran soon :santa: so thatl be a nice change for my oc

fortran? Please don't replace your power supply with an old programming language...

As for the powersupply for the cheap computer, $30 will get you a decent 350w sparkle, which is a great little power supply. But since Aspire isn't as bad as some other brands, you can probably stick with Know Nuttin's suggestion and make sure the psu has lots of airflow.

Back