• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 3.0E OC question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

Can I OC a Prescott 3.0E to 3.4 and run it very stable? Does anyone have a setup like this? What kind of heatsink you think will be good enough to cool it on air?

Thanks.

OP
nissmo300

nissmo300

wow they go ~3.7

How about a 2.8E running at 3.4? Do you think it will run stable. The reason I'm asking is becuase I am building this for someone and I would like to do all the test and make sure there is NO problems (reboots, not stable, doesnt give errors with prime) I'll be VERY happy so I can just leave it at that speed without paying in the $400-500 range for a 3.4E.

batboy

Senior Moment
I had an early 2.8E and it did 3.4 gig on air with default vcore. Once you have to start raising vcore, they start pulling lots of power and start getting hot. On average, 3.4 gig on air is a good goal.

OP
nissmo300

nissmo300

Thanks so much guys. Will this be enough to cool it or do I need a bigger/ heavy duty one :clap:

35-118-109-04.JPG

By the way I saw 2 diff kinds of these. The other one has aluminum. Which is better? I'm thinking this one since its all copper.

batboy

Senior Moment
Copper transfers heat a little better than aluminum. Personally, I like heatsinks with a separate fan in case the fan goes bad or if you want to swap in a higher/lower CFM fan. Check out the Thermalright SLK-948U. That Zalman is a decent choice if you want low noise. Here is a current thread about P-4 heatsinks.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311804

IceCoolJay

Registered
Yeah, 3.0E should get to 3.4E pretty easily. I have a 2.8E @ 3.6Ghz stable in one of my rigs. Thats only using 1.44Vcore.