• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott in the bat cave computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks batboy!

I have also concluded that any 'real' world difference between the northwoods and prescotts is undistinguishable at the same speed and thus not worth my money. The only advantage going for a prescott right now for me is the top speed and so far i haven't been impressed at all! I may change my mind when the high multi Prescotts come out and they consistently hit 4Ghz+.

But with AMD S939 just around the corner i might just forget about this upgrade and get a whole new system in June where you'll at least notice a difference.

Well, this Prescott fell flat on it's face above 3.8 gig. Did everything I could to get a screen shot of 4 gig, but no go. I could get to the Windows desktop at 3.9 gig, but it would crash even using CPU-Z. I went back down to 3.8 gig.

CPUZ-CPU-prescott-3800.JPG

Ok, just for hUMANbEATbOX, I bumped up my alarm to 65 degrees (hoping Abit really does read temps a little high). Remember, this is with default speed and all default settings on my vid card to be consistent.

3Dmark2001-prescott-3800.JPG

Two observations... 1) clockgen don't work and 2) I was able to run vcore above 1.6v, so apparently the rumor about overvolting limit was incorrect.

Dup from the "pioneers" thread so no one misses out ;)

Doesn't seem to have made a difference, but a new BIOS was uploaded today for the ASUS P4C800-E. There is no documentation for it that I have found and it is not yet available under the ASUS Upate, but I installed it and it's working OK with 2.6C and 2.8E. BIOS 1015.004 (2/11/04).

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/P4CED15.zip

TC, I know there is a new AI7 BIOS that adds Prescott support. Whether or not you need that BIOS just to boot up, I don't know. Haven't even pulled my new AI7 out of the box yet.

batboy,

what are the CPU, system, and PWM temps at 3.8ghz?
and what was the vcore for 3.8ghz again?

(tom10167,
just look at what batboy's reply is to my questions, and you'll understand why I may never try even a 3.2e)

mica

Mica, my measured vcore was right at 1.6v in order to benchmark 3Dmark2001, so I left it there to check load temps. The CPU-Z screen shot shows 1.552v, but that was taken before I tried heavy duty benching and realized I had to bump up the vcore.

Load temps at 3.8 gig (272 FSB):

CPU=61, system=21, PWM=49

Ouch, that's hot... especially since I'm watercooled. Of course, I'm running WAY too much voltage. I have since dropped back to 3.6 gig and vcore of 1.44v. I'm going to burn-in at this speed and see what happens.

thanks batboy.

i know i'm asking a lot, but to see how these things scale, what do you the possibility of getting a few stock 2.8c vs 2.8e benches?

just curious to see that "performance delta" that i saw a few sites talk about. ie, a 2.8c is say, 3% faster than a 2.8e. a [email protected] may only be 2% faster than a [email protected], and so on and so forth. just to give us an idea of how these will stack up against the NW clock for clock at the clockspeeds we are looking for (4+ghz).

thanks for the time and effort batboy!

Human, I can get the stock 2.8 Prescott benchies fairly soon, but it might be a while before I swap the 2.8C back in. I sort of promised TC that I'd put my AI7 system together, so I'm going to work on that for a couple hours.

Scanido, I never got around to downloading Super Pi 1M. Give me a link and I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: I have it downloaded now.

Last edited:
batboy said:
Human, I can get the stock 2.8 Prescott benchies fairly soon, but it might be a while before I swap the 2.8C back in. I sort of promised TC that I'd put my AI7 system together, so I'm going to work on that for a couple hours.

Scanido, I never got around to downloading Super Pi 1M. Give me a link and I'll give it a whirl.

i just edited my post after you posted. It's before yours.

appreciate those comparitive benchmarks batboy. thats the kind of stuff that helps to see whats better.. i think u have helped us all more than even most of the reviews we have read. :) a true pioneer u are. i wait for the newer steppings!

while you're waiting for bat's, my Super Pi 1M:

2.8E @ 3401MHz = 39s
2.8E @ 3850MHz = 35s

and some screen shots from yesterday's miracle...haven't been back there since:

283fsbcpuzsf.gif

"obviously" no cpu benches made it...XMS 3500C2 5:4

283simem.gif

So close to 4GHz :mad:

Ross said:
while you're waiting for bat's, my Super Pi 1M:

2.8E @ 3401MHz = 39s
2.8E @ 3850MHz = 35s

and some screen shots from yesterday's miracle...haven't been back there since:

283fsbcpuzsf.gif

"obviously" no cpu benches made it...XMS 3500C2 5:4

283simem.gif

So close to 4GHz :mad:

Nice OC, how are you cooling this? wish you good luck in reaching 4 gig.

What are you cooling it with ross. Cant remeber.

That high i need a lot of volts!!! 1.57 would be lot cooler for me.

3950.JPG

Ive been out all day. Finally Batboy is in the game!!!

The disappointing thing is these chips were supposed to "hit 4ghz no problem" and now it's "We're almost at 4ghz!" Where'd all of these hyped-up reviews get THEIR chips from? =\

Yeah, I've been saying that since I ordered mine ;) The pro reviewers all had Engineering Samples, which I am pretty sure, are all hand picked.

I am paying my 15% restocking (prolly the only $$ Newegg will make on them by the time the dust settles ;) ), ordered a 9800 Pro from them today for the same money (almost) and I will sit back until the 3.2s or the Retails come out...2/20 or 3/1 depending which sites you believe. The higher clocked versions are "usually" more stable...because they have to be.

What are you cooling it with ross. Cant remeber.

That high i need a lot of volts!!! 1.57 would be lot cooler for me.
Swiftech WCing. I had 2 of the Swifty 80mm rads in parallel, but yesterday I swapped one out for a BIM II. So I increase the surface area 33% and added 2 more fans for the BIM II. That was when it went down to 26°C idle...the coolest it has even been...and I haven't seen 283 FSB since I shut it down that time. It's about 30°C idle now, but since I've been swapping 2.6C and 2.8E back and forth, I've gotten a little lax with my AS3 jobs...might have something to do with it.

If only I could get your Vc and you could get my temps!!

Those results are lookign goo guys....

Someone from X only got 3.5G on his 2.8E with a vapochill :( Guess its the luck of the draw..

batboy why didnt you try a 3.2E you can go much higher w/ it....this is what we really need to see. the 2.8e = bottom of barrel

batboy why didnt you try a 3.2E you can go much higher w/ it
The 3.2 Prescotts aren't available through retailers yet AFAIK and won't be until sometime between now and March 1st from what many sites say. If someone knows a place with 3.2Es (preferably Retail box) in stock, please LET US KNOW! :)

Back