• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott OC Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LabRat23

It looks like most people do not want to bother with prescotts because of the heat issues among other things, yet I have seen several people in the forums who have decent overclocks on air cooling. I would like to hear from people, who have actually overclocked a prescott, how far they got, what did they have to do to cool it, and was it worth it.

I have a 2.8e. Currently I am at 3.47 and prime stable for three hours. Longer testing will be done later. I have a Zalman 7000AlCu with Artic Silver 5. The one flaw that I see in it is that 90% of the airflow excapes out of the gaps in the side without going through the vanes. That I fixed with aluminim foil. I than gave it its own fresh air by cutting a hole in the side of the case and using a short section of a two litter bottle as a duct. (Perfect size.) Adding to that, I force-fed the duct with a 120mm Antec fan. CPU Load temps are as follows: unclocked with stock cooling 63C, unclocked with current cooling 43C, 3.47ghz with current cooling 53C. Case temps are 33. Ambient is 27C.

DocLiv

I've had pretty good sucess overclocking my prescotts with aircooling. It takes some good harware and some luck as well. As you know the pressy makes a lot of heat and uses lots of power. So you must have a very good cooler and a good psu. I have a Antec True Blue 480w that does just great even with a 6800GT, 3 HDs, DVD burner, sound card, TV tuner, and 2 nic cards. As far as cooling, I was using a SLK900U, but I got a Tower 112 now and it's excellent, but kinda on the huge side. I think it's no coincidense that most of the higher clocked prescotts are on IC7 mobos. I'm not saying you can't do well with an Asus, but the IC7 seems to handle the pressy better than anything else with a 478 socket. And of course you gotta get lucky and get a cpu that overclocks well. I can't deny that I got lucky with mine.

Flu!d

Prescott in sig doing speed in sig using HSF in sig! Primme stable no worries....

Case is a huge server case with two 80mm intake fans mounted in the side panel blowing directly over the mobo and two 80mm exhaust fans in the rear. Unless i'm benchmarking or ripping a DVD my HSF sits 'below' the half way mark.

21.5 degree amibents:

39-40 degrees idle.
60-61 degrees full load.

IceCoolJay

Registered
i have a 2.8E @ 3.6Ghz using 1.44 Vcore. Its prime stable. It can reach 3.8Ghz but its unstable. Uses AIR cooling (SP-94 and 92mm Tornado).

I also recently got my hands on a 3.2E D0 Stepping. I havnt overclocked it yet. Gonna wait a week or two before trying.

FSBuster

See below for my system. Although I'm at 4.28Ghz, the performance is about equal to my [email protected].

[email protected] mach1, 283FSB 1:1 2x512MB Corsair DDR500, p4c800-e vdimm mod & droop mod, 9800pro 530/405 watercooled w/ vdimm mod & vcore mod, watercooled nb, 2x160GB raid0

lbbo2002

I got ahold of a IC7 Max 3 and a 2.8E. Runs fine with a SP94 w/92mm Delta @250 but thats a ~1.53v. Thats the prime stable rock solid number... Can post and run benchies at 3.75 but prime fails in a few hours at that speed.

Not to impresssed with this 2.8E. ITs about 10-12C higher than the same OC with a 3.0c at the same speed.

theflyingrat

I'm doing just 3.3 on my 2.8A. I'm using a Zalman CNPS700-AlCu. My limiting factor, I think, is my dumpy MSI motherboard that has no volt controls, so I'm stuck to default voltages. Temps stay fine, though - 35-38C idle, 56-58C full load. Not bad for air cooling, from what I ascertain. Either way, it's faster than I could ever get my XP2500+.

Now, I compare those temps to the Dell heatpipe and case fan that's keeping my 3.2E at work "cool." Give or take that word. ;) Although it's absolutely silent, it idles at 48C, is doing 57C with me doing DB work, Media Player, and messing around on forums when I should be working, and tops out at 65C with Prime95.

I think I'm going to check out that tinfoil trick with the Zalman 7000, though. I'll take whatever help I can get with these Pressies!

Kuroimaho

3.0E C0 3550 1.45V can't go more with prime doh benchable with 3.7 and can play on it without problems, but I wait till a D0 before switching to Prescott