• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott Vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

I havent gone further then 1.45v as the change dident help me gain more stability past 250FSB on my 2.8.. Kinda scared of frying it, and as sutch i thought id ask..

What vcores do you guys run your Prescotts at, what kind of overclocks do you push, and any other related info you feel like sharing...

B!

KrisMCool

Mine's stable at 1.5125v for 3402, 1.525v for 3430 and 1.55v for 3500. These are stable speeds on air; temps haven't been a problem. I keep it at 1.525v or below for 24/7 [email protected] Haven't had any issues (as of yet) at these settings. 1.525v is approx a 10% overvolt, so you ought to be safe at or below that. But there are others out there that have been running more through them. Prescotts are still new enough, I think, that limits are still unknown.

Osirus

vcore - 1.392
CPU - 3.0E oc'd @ 3.6
FSB - 240mhz

My System is stable for days.
Havent tried much more higher then 3.6, I will once I get my new WC kit installed and testing.

Dcasole

-=Mr_B=-
MSI will not allow a user to change the Vcore and here is the reason why

I discussed the Vcore change question with the board designer over last weekend. Base on my understanding, the reason we didn't offer that when Prescott is populated was because a new Intel VID design on Prescott: "Dynamic VID" (VID becomes variable on different stages). According to the board designer, if M/B (BIOS) overwrite the Vcore, Dynamic VID will become invalid which might damage the CPU (Prescott Core) when power stage changed.

Be very carefull when raising the Vcore on a prescott as the prescott throttles the vcore according to load . You could be on the edge and this throttling could push you over.

Here is the link to the rest of this story

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTg5

Just my 2 cents
Dave

I have been able to get to 3.61 stable(but chose not to run it that high because of the heat issues) on the stock vcore of 1.34 When monitoring the vcore with CPUZ I can acutally see it jump up to 1.38 according to the load I put on it

Flu!d

Running a 2.8E here using a Thermaltake Spark 7+ of all things too keep it cool @ 3.75 ghz on default vcore. Temps at an ambient temp of 21.5 degrees C are 40 degrees idle and 60 degrees full load with the HSF running flat out, unless i'm benchmarking or running prime I just run the HSF 1 notch below the half way mark on my fan speed controller....

see here

Unstable 4 ghz overclock on air

Who says Prescotts don't overclock well on air?

Dcasole

Flu!d I love your signature :thup:

I have taken a lot of flack for mine!

The temps I have been able to obtain on air(42C at idle and 55 under extreme loads) with my prescott are better than some are getting with their northwoods

Dave

Flu!d

I have taken a lot of flack for mine!

Dunno why....

Check (as in 'actually read') the benchmarks posted by pretty much all the review sites regarding the Prescott and do the math and you'll find, on average, the Northwood winning 50% of the tests and the Prescott winning 50% of the tests (Note: ON AVERAGE....On some sites the northwood may win 60% of the tests vs 40% for the Prescott....On some sites the Prescott may win 60% of the tests vs 40% for the Northwood....)

I honestly believe people just can't be bothered reading the results and just skip to the biased blurb of the reviewer posted at the end of the article. And i'm quite sure his opinion is biased simply because the Prescott didn't 'kick the Northwoods arse in all areas' like he thought it should have....

And where the Prescott does fall behind, it's by such a small margin that I woulden't be suprised if a simple reboot of the machine concerned would bring both platforms even....

Overall, no one can 'honestly' claim that the Prescott is slower than the Northwood....Because the results posted by various review sites 'when they're all taken into consideration' say otherwise, clock for clock they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but unless the Northwood is kicking arse with a 75% average - There's no way it's faster....

Be proud of the core you've chosen Dcasole....Because Intel users bagging each other over the type of intel core they've chosen is just rediculious - We're supposed to bag the AMD crowd....Not our own....

....Personally, as a Northwood 'and' Prescott user, I think both cores suck and I firmly believe Intel should have developed the crap outa the Tualatin....

Last edited:
OP
M

-=Mr_B=-

Dcasole said:
-=Mr_B=-
MSI will not allow a user to change the Vcore and here is the reason why

Be very carefull when raising the Vcore on a prescott as the prescott throttles the vcore according to load . You could be on the edge and this throttling could push you over.

Here is the link to the rest of this story

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTg5

Just my 2 cents
Dave

I have been able to get to 3.61 stable(but chose not to run it that high because of the heat issues) on the stock vcore of 1.34 When monitoring the vcore with CPUZ I can acutally see it jump up to 1.38 according to the load I put on it

I cant confirm this with my setup, The EasyTune4, Cpuz, and speed fan, i get readings 1.44, 1.392, and 1.39v .. they dont all agre, but they dont move. Anyone else? and how much of a change are we talking? im testing with going from no load, to full load (i knew Prime was good for something) Might it be that Gigabyte had a different aproach to this, and simply stoped the cpu from getting its "will" of juice to spare component life?

B!

Dcasole

Flu!d , I am proud of my prescott . What I was commenting on was your statement

Boy I agree with your statement 100% :thup:

Time and time again I have seen posts from people stating that "OH you have to use water to keep a prescott cool if you are going to over clock"

I had another person tell me "That is crazy to have to cut a duct in your case" to use a prescott.

My reply to this statement was " if you modified the engine in your car to produce much more horsepower would you expect still expect to be able to use the stock drivetrain and tires?

Intel specificly states that you should use a thermally advantaged chassis when using a prescott. Some people have been able to get away with not using one and that is fine but there are those who expected to just " Plug and Play and when they experenced the Heat Issues :mad: they start going crazy and slamm the chip

This was the reason why I put the link to the intel site in my signature

Glad I found another " Air Cooled Prescott Owner" !!!!! :beer:

Dave

Dcasole

-=Mr_B=-
I could not confirm this fact either until I updated my Bios to the latest from MSI that stated " Supports Prescott Microcode"

Before I updated I would get the same results as you when running CPUZ and I also could change my Vcore.

After updating I could no longer change my vcore and this is when I started to see the voltage fluctuation when running both CPUZ and SpeedFan

I do not think it is my powersupply as it is brand new. When overclocking this power hungry hog my Antec 350W was just not up to the task .

Maybe MSI chose to support the dynamic VID feature of the prescott and that is why they locked down the VCORE?

Dave

Randyman...

Dcasole said:
-=Mr_B=-

My vcore does just the opposite - [email protected] Idle, and DROPS to 1.31 @ Full Load according to Speedfan AND Sandra. This was with the "Cheapo" PS and my fresh Enermax 460Watt. Vcore set to "Auto" in BIOS.

Another Prescott OC on Air here. Nothing much (215FSB 3.01GHZ w/2.8E) and 1:1 RAM. My chip will get to 3.5 or so, but I don't like RAM dividers, so I stay at 215 1:1 for now (Still get 2-3-3-6 @430MHZ w/DDR400 RAM!). Idle @ 39*C, Load @ 49*C. My temps really DIDN'T go up at all with this light OC. VCORE @ "Auto" on MoBo.

I like the 1M L2. I'm really happy with my RAM bandwidth - ESPECIALLY for $200 2x512MB Geil RAM!

Later :cool:

Flu!d

It's Ok Dcasole....

My post was aimed at everyone in general and not specifically at you. After I made the post I was a little worried that you might take it out of context.... :)

OP
M

-=Mr_B=-

Dcasole, yes, it seams the mobomakers have there own ways to look at this, i have a Gigabyte motherboard, the proper bios, and still have vcore mods available in the bios... And i took the easy way out, and mailed Gigabyte about it... no result yet...

Untill i feel i know enough, im going to hold back the oc a little, and try a bunch off different things, all while monitoring the vcore...

B!