• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pressure reduces temperature - how to maximise pressure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeTimbers

Yesterday, I dropped my fully assembled slocket/cpu/Alpha :( The Alpha came loose, distorting the clip. I re-assembled it all and remounted in the computer. Temps are now higher.

Squeezing the alpha gently towards the slocket reduces the temps significantly, so...

I am considering biulding a clamp from two aluminium bars to extend across the back of the slocket and across the Alpha with bolts joining the two at each end, like a rectangle with the slocke/cpu/alpha in the middle. By slowly tightening each bolt, pressure will be increased over the standard Alpha clip.

If you think this is insignificant:

Original fitted Alpha 36C
Re-fitted Alpha 38C
Squeezed Alpha 32C!!

Has anyone else tried this?

Have you EVER heard of core crushing???

DO NOT push your hsf into cpu core, that is dumb. Too many people have done this and ended up with a busted core.

If you want to reduce temps get a better hsf, or go watercooling.

There is a zone of comfort where the pressure exerted upon the junction of the core and the HSF base will increase performance. Beyond that, you will run the danger of crushing the core. It is hard to feel it out as the resistance to turning the screws is not a reliable indicator of how much pressure the bars will be exerting. Also, the is a balancing act necessary to ensure pressure is evenly applied in all four quadrants. That, having bean said, it can be done, but one must approach it very carefully. I did this when I was trying to come up with an alternative to the clip retention system with my FOP-32. I only used one bar and while tightening it, heard a distinct clunk. Upon investigating, I found I had snapped one of the socket lugs off. No harm to the core, but definitely a setback.

Hoot

Back