• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pretty sure i have a virus, any suggestions for getting rid of it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just don't use 2 anti virus programs.

You should use 2 antivirus/malware programs if 1 of them isn't running all the time. A good combo is Avast (which runs all the time) and Malwarebytes Free which operates on demand. They don't conflict with one another that way.

Also, if you're web browsing on a Windows computer, never do it without your browser being sandboxed as you're just begging for trouble that way. You'll get burnt sooner or later. Failing that, install a *nix VM and use that for web browsing.

You should use 2 antivirus/malware programs if 1 of them isn't running all the time. A good combo is Avast (which runs all the time) and Malwarebytes Free which operates on demand. They don't conflict with one another that way.

Also, if you're web browsing on a Windows computer, never do it without your browser being sandboxed as you're just begging for trouble that way. You'll get burnt sooner or later. Failing that, install a *nix VM and use that for web browsing.

1+ good idea. My Kaspersky ran out 2 weeks ago, I need to get Avira then update Malwarebytes, I wouldn't have though of that combo! (even though Malwarebytes is already installed :p )

Also, what do you mean about the browsing in a sandbox environment for Windows? I can't just use straight up Chrome anymore with that setup you mentioned?

Also, what do you mean about the browsing in a sandbox environment for Windows? I can't just use straight up Chrome anymore with that setup you mentioned?

I run my browser through Sandboxie. Since most malware is probably going to come through your web browser, this will significantly lower your chances of becoming infected. All processes spawned from within the sandboxed program, such as Flash, Adobe Reader etc will also run in the sandbox. I also set Sandboxie to delete the contents of the sandbox after the browser is closed. If you want to cache passwords, save browser history, update the browser etc then do this outside the sandbox, otherwise whatever happens in the sandbox gets deleted after every browsing session.

okay while we're on topic of virus prevention, is mac really invincible when it comes to malware?

okay while we're on topic of virus prevention, is mac really invincible when it comes to malware?

No! Any computer connected to the internet is going to be at risk of catching malware. Even if you never connect the machine to the internet, you can never be 100% sure that the OS installation disc or ISO is not infected, even if you buy an install disc directly from MS or Apple.

OSX is much less vulnerable to malware infections in comparison to Windows due to a vastly different kernel design, and the fact that OSX has a much smaller user base than Windows which makes it a smaller target. That's no reason to go out and buy a Mac though. Linux is even more secure than OSX, but there is no OS in existence that is invincible to malware. If you're really worried, then just use Linux as there has been no known widespread Linux malware that causes significant damage. Linux malware does exist, but it really needs root access to be able to do anything other than cause a very minor annoyance, and even then it's unlikely to do much. In saying that, don't run unfamiliar scripts on Linux either as you can easily cause a lot of damage, but then these scripts don't just run themselves as they need direct user input to run it.

No. Mac OS is a Unix OS. There are viruses for Unix (which means Mac OS too) but there aren't many.

Your just not likely to get one.

No. Mac OS is a Unix OS. There are viruses for Unix (which means Mac OS too) but there aren't many.

Your just not likely to get one.

Yes I know that OSX is a Unix OS, and even though it shares a similar kernel it it still has many differences to Linux distros to make it an entirely different OS.

Yes I know that OSX is a Unix OS, and even though it shares a similar kernel it it still has many differences to Linux distros to make it an entirely different OS.

Indeed it is different, still has a small chance of a virus though. Unlike poor old Windows, the local flea-infested raccoon. :rofl:
So many viruses for Windows...

BTW, after having an infection it is possible that MSSE is broken. It would be a good idea to uninstall it, reboot, then install a fresh AV.

Same holds true for Malwarebytes. It can be broken by bugs too, so I always do a safe mode w/ networking download & install from filehippo. I then uninstall Malwarebytes & only do a fresh install if I think I have a problem.

i always have an anti virus because you never know when that mega trojan is going to come along and attempt to corrupt System32 (yes i know that may be far-fetched) the one time i didn't use anti-virus my boot sector was corrupted on my hard drive and windows 7 wouldn't load

i always have an anti virus because you never know when that mega trojan is going to come along and attempt to corrupt System32 (yes i know that may be far-fetched) the one time i didn't use anti-virus my boot sector was corrupted on my hard drive and windows 7 wouldn't load

That sucks.

Ahh good 'ol boot sector viruses :p

Back