• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price drop anytime soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshin Himura

Registered
OK, so I am looking to upgrade my PC one last time. Its a watercooled 3200+ at 2.7 (winnie) with a 9800 pro. The CPU is more than enough, but this 9800 wouldnt go past 408 mhz and I need something with a little more power. So my question is this: Is there going to be a price drop anytime soon, especially with the release of the X1x00 series, specifically on the X850XT? I am rather confident that it will be the last of the AGP (I'm on the K8N Neo2). Am I going to have to shell out $350 to upgrade this?

ColdFusion

Registered
You could buy a geforce 6800 and try to open up the extra pipes, that would be a pretty decent upgrade. I found a 6800 for 145 USD on pricewatch. You could also get a geforce 6200 and mod it into a 6600, but that wouldn't be much of an upgrade really, however the price of the 6200 is only around 65 dollars. I bought a x800 GT when I upgraded from my 9800 pro, and it was a fairly decent increase in performance when overclocked for around 150 dollars. My girlfriend just bought me a Connect3D x800GTO for 175 dollars with a 25 dollar rebate, which I have every intention of modding into an x800XT. If you bought any of the last two, you would see a sizeable increase in performance, and you would be able to buy a pci-e board and still spend less than what the x850XT would cost you. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're going to buy a new video card, you might as well take the hit now and move to pci-e. I really don't see it being worth buying a new, expensive agp card when pci-e is here to stay. I assume you have your reasons though, so I would go with the 6800 and the pipe mod.