• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime 95 Blend Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats what I thought too!! However, most people in the iracing forum were always like its your CPU, CPU, CPU, CPU lol! So what GPU solution do you recommend? I really like AMD because I am familiar with the CCC. Also on a side note, I have 4 monitors hooked up to the GPU. I have hotkeys setup in the CCC so I switch to three monitors when gaming then have a 4th single monitor that I switch to when just browsing or for everyday computer use.

I used to run it at 5760x1080 on a 780 and currently on a 980 without any issues.

You can set up shortcuts like that in NVCP as well.

Really though, what I recommend would depend on what your upgrade budget is.

I used to run it at 5760x1080 on a 780 and currently on a 980 without any issues.

You can set up shortcuts like that in NVCP as well.

Really though, what I recommend would depend on what your upgrade budget is.

Eh let's say $350. I just would love to know if the gains would really be worth it before dropping that much money. I know lots of people have said leave AMD and switch to Intel.... But if my problem isn't CPU and is mostly gpu then it may be worth it? Also I currently have 2 monitors hooked up with mini display port and 2 hooked up with dvi cables. My monitors are overclocked at 70hz. Would a new 970 allow me to still overclock monitors based off the types of cables I'd have to run?

- - - Updated - - -

I just know some cables don't really support over 60hz right?

The 970 is a big jump over a 7950 and is what I would recommend for your budget.
You can actually run all four monitors at the same time from it as well.

There shouldn't be any issues overclocking the monitors to 70Hz.

Awesome! One of my buddies has a 970. May try dropping that in my computer and see how it performs!!

Awesome. You still active on Iracing?

I let my subscription lapse, I've been too busy lately.
I do still play other racing games though as time permits.

That said, I want to get back on there and try some of the new features, cars, and tracks they've come out with.

I let my subscription lapse, I've been too busy lately.
I do still play other racing games though as time permits.

That said, I want to get back on there and try some of the new features, cars, and tracks they've come out with.

yeah the new dynamic track with the rubber build up and marbles is pretty cool.... however its a frame rate KILLER!! so i have it off. hopefully a gpu really does give me a big boost in performance.

yeah the new dynamic track with the rubber build up and marbles is pretty cool.... however its a frame rate KILLER!! so i have it off. hopefully a gpu really does give me a big boost in performance.

Ah, so that's what hit you so hard, I can understand how!!

Ah, so that's what hit you so hard, I can understand how!!

Well yeah it was just bad timing with the update lol. I started overclocking my CPU like a week before that came out. Ended up buying a new mobo since my other one was junk. Finished my overclock and realized that update was killing FPS. So never really gotta see how much my overclock helped. Right now I have my frame rate caped at 86. In a big group at talladega or daytona which drains fps ill drop down to like 68 at times. I know that's not terrible. I just want to be able to lock 86 or higher and never drop below. Will see if its possible haha.

So I am looking at the ASUS Strix GTX 970 card. I see it has a hook up for 2 dvi, 1 hdmi, and 1 display port. I know I'll run 2 of my monitors hdmi to dvi, 1 of them hdmi to hdmi, then the 4th one I'm thinking hdmi to dvi to an adapter that will change it to display port. Does it matter what kind of adapter I get? The reason I am asking is with my current 7950 card I had to buy certain adapters from xfx to get the DVI to mini display port to transmit any picture.

You should be able to use your current adapter and take it from Mini DisplayPort to Displayport.

No, but you can get a small adapter to convert it.
That option is much cheaper than a new active adapter to go from DisplayPort to DVI.

What kind of adapter? I looked online and didn't really see one that would work? Unless I'm just missing it

HDMI to DisplayPort works without being on an active adapter.
If you try to take that to DVI at any point, it needs an active adapter.

Alright awesome. That will solve my problem if they don't have one of the cheap adapters. 2 monitors hdmi to dvi. 3rd hdmi to hdmi. 4th hdmi to display port. Should i have my triple screen setup using a certain arrangements of cables? Or doesn't really matter? Want to keep monitors overclocked at 70.

Back