• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime gives 90+ temp !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr0w

I have Q9550 CPU on ASUS P5Q-PRO mb. I want to have stable 3.6ghz cpu, but when i test with Prime95 my cpu temps goes more than 90C..
My settings in BIOS are:

FSB: 430
Multiplier: 08.5x
DRAM freq: 861mhz
Timing: 5-5-5-15

vcore: 1.23125
fsp termination: 1.26
DRAM v: 1.90
NB: 1.20
SB: 1.10

Idle temps seems fine, staying at 40-45C.
Am i doing something wrong, or is it standard that temps on testing should be that high?

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
what kinda cooler you using and what are you using to read temps?

OP
K

kr0w

I use CoreTemp64 and CPUID HW Monitor. It's a box cpu, the cooler came with cpu.

PeterGarcia30

soo your using the hsf that came with your cpu??! the Q9550 is probably the hottest core 2 quad chip and the stock heatsink fan is barely enough to run it at stock settings at a temp that i feel comfortable at.....take a stroll down to the cooling section and do some research on an aftermarket hsf it will make a world of difference. Those stock coolers just wont cut it for trying to overclock that chip.

burebista

Depends on budget: from best performers Noctua NH-D14, TRUE rev.C, VenomousX, Zalman 10X Extreme to more budget friendly Scythe Mugen 2, Zerotherm Zen, CM Hyper 212+, Xigmatek Achilles and so on.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
How much money do you want to spend. A pretty good cooler will run about $30, an excellent cooler will run about $60 (and more with fans).