• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 fails on 2nd core after 10min...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDluvr

Registered
I just put a new heatsink and case on my PC and now the 2nd worker on P95 keeps failing after 10min.

It's a 955BE clocked at 3.40GHz2 with 1.344V. Is my voltage wrong? or should I look at CPU problems?

OP
A

AMDluvr

Registered
Well Should I go up or down in voltage?

I get this error:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.48828125, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

my temps never pass 47* and are at 36-37 idle

PeterGarcia30

give it more juice.. try bumping the voltage up you generally wont get errors from having more voltage than less unless were talking about voltages which result in unsafe temps

QuietIce

Disabled
AMD's start out cooler and run cooler (10°-15°C cooler on average) than Intel. Typically, we recommend no more than 55°C for the best OC and to allow for fluctuating room temps.

I've seen some people go higher just watch your temperatures make sure they don't go over 70
:eek: This isn't an Intel space heater we're talking here! :eek:

OP
A

AMDluvr

Registered
I'm at 30-31* idle amd about 51-52* at load. Passing with 3.2GHz and 1.4v Does this sound right or should I look into possible to much thermal paste/heatsink not on tight? I only used about anough for a rice grain.

I'm using CPUID's HW Monitor for my temps, is it known to be accurate?

Last edited:

QuietIce

Disabled
HWMonitor is usually OK.

Are you reading the core temp or the motherboard CPU temp?

What vCore (CPU voltage) does CPU-Z show at load?

This shouldn't matter since you're using the multiplier but do you have the RAM voltage and timings set manually to their stock values? You can find those values on CPU-Z's SPD tab ...

RJARRRPCGP

Well Should I go up or down in voltage?

I get this error:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.48828125, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

my temps never pass 47* and are at 36-37 idle

Increase the Vcore.

OP
A

AMDluvr

Registered
HWMonitor is usually OK.

Are you reading the core temp or the motherboard CPU temp?

What vCore (CPU voltage) does CPU-Z show at load?

This shouldn't matter since you're using the multiplier but do you have the RAM voltage and timings set manually to their stock values? You can find those values on CPU-Z's SPD tab ...

1. Core temp
2. 1.392v
3. I have set them to the stock timings, Mushkin says the stock values are 7-7-7-20 @800mhz 1.9v, CPUZ says stock is 9-9-9-24 @666MHz, 1.5v. I'm running them 7-7-7-20 @666MHz, 1.9v

QuietIce

Disabled
Until you get your CPU OC'ed you should follow CPU-Z stock timings and play with RAM afterward. Nothing gets you more performance than the CPU overclock - everything else is secondary ...

Know Nuttin

coretemp shows 5c less than easytune on my board. Not sure if that is the same for you?

You never did state what model heatsinnk you installed, you just said you installed a new one. Without that info, and ambient room temp and all that, we can't really give you anything about whether the temps you are getting are normal or not.

OP
A

AMDluvr

Registered
Sorry the HS was a Mugen 2 Scyth, and the amient temp.. fluxuates a lot, i have a wood stove that heats my house, but it's typicly in the low 70's

QuietIce

Disabled
Have you tried using CoreTemp? I know it reads the temp off the CPU, there have been zero problems reported with Phenom II hardware, and it only reads the core temp so there's no misunderstanding of labels either.

CoreTemp

It also has a very small footprint, can record temps if needed, and can minimize with temps showing right on the taskbar ... :)