• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prime95 question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
mmk, im telling my friend what prime95 does, and over the summer, someone posted a link to where you can see a list of what the program calculates..or something like that..does anyone know where that is? searching the forums was not so helpful, so if some of you know what im talkin about, id appreciate it

scrappydog

RangerJoe said:
mmk, im telling my friend what prime95 does, and over the summer, someone posted a link to where you can see a list of what the program calculates..or something like that..does anyone know where that is? searching the forums was not so helpful, so if some of you know what im talkin about, id appreciate it

There's another thread on Prime95 -- apparently an engineer figured out how to calculate whether a number is a prime in 13 lines of code.

Anyway, as I understand it, Prime95 is a peer-to-peer app that uses your CPU to chug out new prime numbers beyond the known primes. It's a lot like SETI and other related P2P apps that were developed to help with computationally-intensive scientific research.

For me, I use Prime95 to stress test my system. It's pretty good at testing how hot your CPU will get, although I have found that CPUBurn running with Runprio on a high setting will get about 1C more heat out of my CPU.