• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prince of Persia.... great idea, bad gameplay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

My wife and I rented this game for the Xbox and we so desperately want to like this game with all of the good gameplay ideas and prett graphics. Unfortunately there are so many shortcomings to the game that we have pretty much given up on it. The camera angles suck, the controls just dont respond when fighting. I feal as if I am playing a d&d game when fighting, your turn, my turn, your turn, my turn. Unfortunately the problem with this idea is that when the comp hits you, you lose 1/5 of your life. The puzzles are easy enough so far but the controls are just so bad that we are having a hard time getting through them. My wife and I are %15 of the way through the game and are now so frustrated by the bad contols and cheating comps when fighting that we have pretty much just given up now. Dont get me wrong, I have played through plenty of bad console games in the past and very seldom have I ever given up on a game. I have been gaming since on the Atari in the early 80's and played through all of the Resident Evil and the first two Tomb Raider games, which PoP reminds me very much of. Anyways, enough of the ranting for now. What I am wondering is if we (my wife and I) are the only ones that are getting totally p.o.'ed at this game?

Zim2411

I got p.o.'ed one time... I think it was cause I was in a fight, and I couldn't win... and I tried like 15 times... so I finally ended up cheating... and yeah. The game can get pretty annoying.

ColtIce

Disabled
yeah i think the controls blow chunks on this one.its too bad because it is so pretty.i bought it and i feel like i might as well just thrown 40 bucks in the trash.keyboard/mouse makes it very difficult and my wingman rumblepad isn't any better.I also have been playing games for over twenty years so i know its not just me.

plague

Odd.. I really enjoyed the game (on PC with a sidewinder gamepad). The big problem that everyone has is the camera angles, only once or twice did that annoy me - the camera would go behind something while I was fighting or switch to a new angle and make me turn the wrong way, but I got used to it.

I didn't have a problem with the controls either. They always responded to me, although you might be talking about when you attack and get blocked, you can't attack again right away. I was confused about this because the manual talked about a counter-attack, but I couldn't figure it out.

The only thing that bothered me were the amount of enemies in a fighting sequence later in the game. They just keep coming and coming. I'd rather have them scattered through the game than have to fight 20 or more all at once in certain areas. But once you get the last sword, it's a piece of cake:)

NewbiePerson

I just beat the game.... (PC using mouse and keyboard. It doesn't take long to adapt.)
The graphics are the best i've seen. (it requires a gf3)
It has that classic feel.
Yes the camera angles ticked me off big time.... in the elevator fight it took me a few tries. Nonetheless it has a good story line that makes you wish your life was somehow similar.
The dude makes Jackie chan look as slow as a sand demon.
Come on any game that does that alone must be worth buying.
Not to sound bad but the girl does look very good too. :)
I must now go try to run up walls and what not.....

Methical_K

Camera angles were one of my favorite things about this game :-\
I'm probably the only one who thinks that...

Controls don't respond while fighting??? I have this game for the xbox and I beg to differ. They respond fine for me otherwise I would not have beaten that game. I didn't run into any "taking turn" fights myself but I can certainly see what you mean...but, man those sand ppl attack so slow, why are you waiting for them to attack?

Only problem I had with the game was that it was too short :(
But I've definitely heard other people complain about the camera and the controls on PC.

OP
TUK101

TUK101

Hmm, well it seems that there are conflicting opinions about the game. Which is a good thing, because there are people out there that know what I mean about wanting to like the game. When I say that it seems like you are taking turns fighting, your turn, my turn style I think that is what plague is talking about with the enemies blocking. The problem that we are having right now is just that, there are 6 enemies to fight all at one time, and in this instance one of them is The Prince's father. I am probably missing something here, but oh well, that is why I chose to rent the game before making up my mind as to whether or not to buy it. Chalk up a lost sale to the makers of Prince of Persia.

NewbiePerson

Yeah commercials last longer than that ending!!
I like to have a final fantasy type ending
Where you watch like a 10 minute mini movie...
I've played max payne 2, call of duty, max payne 1, and prince of persia in the past month.... I like prince of persia the best. Mainly because it lasted longer than the three other games combined. It took a whole week almost. I think 7 hours in all, because i thought you were supposed to light all the lantern type things in the mirror place so I spent like a hour and half or more on that... before i said hey what about this emblem...
Prince of Persia gives you a good feeling of accomplisment and a good story. The ending was sort of cliche though (if you can even call it a ending). I'm hoping for a part 2. (also the game isn't as gloomy as max payne)
Max payne saga gives you the same but less accomplishment as its sorta easy (espically the 2nd). However the ending was short but original. The story makes it worth playing and the bullet time.
Call of duty is mega intense all the way through and is one of my favs. I couldn't name a flaw in this game except it's shorter than max payne 2. It does have internet play though so that helps it.
I'm gonna get Beyond good and evil next
I think it takes 10-12 hours.
That said they are all games worth buying.
I might get silent hill 3 after beyond good and evil. It looks good.

deeman

Tuk i found you have to take out all the sand people first then concentrate on the king i did this by getting the guys to follow me to 1 side then id hit them and once they got all grouped up again id run to the other side the king is the slowest to follow you but try to stay away from him as he has a pretty hard hitting attack once you kill the minions he isnt that bad to kill, and you havent even started to see the puzzles yet, im at 70% in pc version and they just keep getting better

DayUSeX

yeah on the PC version im something liek 32% and im enjoying it alot. The camera angles do suck horribl\y, but the game is rather enjoyable.

Methical_K

NewbiePerson said:
I think 7 hours in all, because i thought you were supposed to light all the lantern type things in the mirror place so I spent like a hour and half or more on that... before i said hey what about this emblem...

ROTF

I did the exact same thing. For 30 minutes me and my friends couldn't figure out how to light those darn lantern things...I think we eventually accidentally lit up the emblem. We beat ourselves up over that one, glad to know we weren't the only ones lol

Also Tuk, you gotta play until you atleast get the "mega freeze" (i think that's what they call it) move with that dagger of time :D

OP
TUK101

TUK101

Dammmit, after reading more responses to this thread I am thinking that we will have to rent the game again. It makes it hard for me because I am not really the one playing the game much, my wife is and I only step in and help her with the parts that she cannot get through easily. And remember, we are playing on the Xbox and not a PC where the resolution is at a minimum of 1024X768 so we do not see nearly as much on screen as you would on the PC. It is a blast being able to run walls, and do the jump moves. The game reminds me soooo much of Tomb Raider though that it is almost funny. Pretty much the same concept excepts that you are in a fairly bright lit city instead of a gloomy old cave or "tomb".

12am

50% done so far using the good ole keyboard/mouse combo and I'm enjoying the game for the most part. The graphics are quite beautiful and the animations are top notch. As for the gameplay I found it to be a refreshing experience that breaks the monotony of the fps/sports/rpg/rts genres that are flooding the pc market right now. Running up and along walls, swinging from poles and climbing pillars are great fun and the aerial combat manuvers are a joy to be had/seen. Combat is fun but hard at times. As for the controls, they are pretty decent using the wasd setup for movement and controlling attacks and camera moves with the mouse. The rewind feature is something that I've grown to like and there is an abundance of water (wich restores health) near most of your battles.

Now for the bad. Unfortunately camera anges can pose a problem in certain areas, and having them controlled by the mouse while a good idea in theory is a bad idea in practice. More often than not while in battle amidst the fury of clicking the left mouse button (which attacks) I would accidentally move the mouse causing my camera to move on me when I didn't want it too (got me killed a few times). Unfortunately the camera is also slow moving and seems unresponsive to me. Also sometimes the game just seems too easy and just blows by you making you want to stop playing for a day so that you don't plow through it in one sitting. Replay value is affected because once you know how the traps/puzzles/platform jumping sequences work you just simply fly through them, leaving the fighting sequences as your only means of challenge. Anti aliasing was also broken causing wierd lighting errors in this game until I upgraded to the recently released Catalyst 3.10 drivers.

And remember! be sure to watch the vision sequences and panoramic cutscenes as they will show you exactly what you need to do to advance in the levels.

Twyst

I thought it was a great game. I'd read about the "awful camera angles" on a couple of threads on other boards, but after renting it for the X-box, and beating it in 3 days, I only encountered bad camera angles twice. I thought the story was great, the graphics were very nice and fighting was really cool something about jumping over a guy dicing his neck and spleen to pieces bouncing off a wall taking another guy down then cartwheeling back to the first guy to finish him off was great!

Twyst

Methical_K said:

ROTF

I did the exact same thing. For 30 minutes me and my friends couldn't figure out how to light those darn lantern things...I think we eventually accidentally lit up the emblem. We beat ourselves up over that one, glad to know we weren't the only ones lol

Also Tuk, you gotta play until you atleast get the "mega freeze" (i think that's what they call it) move with that dagger of time :D

I can't say how relieved I am to hear of some other intelligent people stumbling around in that room trying to light everything up. Took me like 8 hours one day..move mirror...&^%$...more mirror ... *(&%%$. Finally thought to myself there's no way it's this easy and whallah. That sword is definately worth it though :eek:

xsoulbrothax

Registered
heh... i'm not sure how late this is (as in I don't know if it'd be any help anymore), but I figured out how to do the counterattack about 80% through the game. you hold down the 'block' button, and as they hit you, you click the attack button... while still holding down the block button! he spins, kicks, boom.

or i think you can also counter-retrieve with the dagger doing the same thing. +++style. the timing's kinda wierd; i think you hit the counter right before they hit you.

Zephon

Registered
Wow, I had just beat this game on pC, with mouse and keyboard. THis is a really good game but I think I was 'madded' by this game sometime. First some of the combat is too hard, I means the combat is ok if you're alone but in fact you have to protect Farah as well. And some of the "jumping" puzzle is really madness, sometime I nearly cry out cause I can't pass the singlr point (like the rope kumping to press a button on the wall).

Anyway this is a good game and defitenally worth to play.

Amino

You guys just need to get it for Xbox. Yeah, and that's coming from ME. I really don't like getting games on Xbox when I can get them on PC. Need For Speed Underground is a great example of why.

But some games are meant for consoles and will ALWAYS be better on consoles. POP is one such game. No matter what, a controller is far better in this type of game. The type of game where you have to do a lot of running, jumping and adjusting to changing camera angles. I'm sure Resident Evil sucks for PC, but it was awesome on PS.

I know all games look better on PC that on their console counterparts, but I've got an HDTV, so it doesn't really matter to me. PoP looked ridiculously beautiful on my TV anyway. For those of you who don't have an HDTV, well, if graphics mean that much to you, you're going to have to shell out another 20 bucks or more for a gamepad if you're going to play these games. I mean, you just simply can't enjoy them to the fullest without a gamepad.

Besides, any serious PC gamer has got to have a gamepad and a flight stick in addition to their mouse and keyboard!

boonmar

I can't get my Wingman Cordless to work with the game. I went into the Controls and selected Gamepad, it would not accept any input for any of the movement. Doesn any one run into this?